2.0 Pinto Efi Won't Start

Guest shaggy

Guest shaggy

Hi,

Just purchased a hood with a pinto 2.0 EFI. It played up in the cold when I viewed it, and eventually started. I ran it for a 100 miles or so, and it seemed to cut out for a few seconds at a time en route, but mostly ran OK.

Just trie4d to get it going now, and not a jot. Checked sparks, and that's fine, but when it comes to lectrics, I really give up the ghost (I'm OK with a spade though) :D

I've soaked the idle control in wd40 as it was hunting on idle, but that's all I've investigated.

Can anyone shed any light?

CIA

Si

If your spark is good then it may be a fuel pressure problem, too much or too little! Check to see if the fuel return pipe has any fuel coming out of it back to the tank. You'll have to power up the fuel pump on its own to check for this. You should get about a litre a minute. If nothing comes back and the pimp sounds like its straining the pressure contorl valve may be faulty. Hunting on idle can also be the throttle vane not closing, clean it around its lip and the area of the manifold on which it rests. Check for a split pipe between the airflow meter and the the throttle body.

Guest Dan_Beeston

If you've got a spark and it's timed correctly then the engine speed/position sensing in the Dizzy is working OK, so as Megadodo says, it's probbably a fuelling problem.

Check the pipe between the MAF and the inlet manifold, the pipes people often use can split allowing air in, which will significantly weaken the idle..........

Guest shaggy
I think I would swap it for a nice "Cobra" :D :rolleyes:

No no no. Cobras are too nice for me.

I'm more of a rough and ready sort of chap, which is why a hood is right up my street. :rolleyes: <_<

Guest shaggy
If your spark is good then it may be a fuel pressure problem, too much or too little! Check to see if the fuel return pipe has any fuel coming out of it back to the tank. You'll have to power up the fuel pump on its own to check for this. You should get about a litre a minute. If nothing comes back and the pimp sounds like its straining the pressure contorl valve may be faulty. Hunting on idle can also be the throttle vane not closing, clean it around its lip and the area of the manifold on which it rests. Check for a split pipe between the airflow meter and the the throttle body.

Cheers for t'advice megadodo.

I cleaned out the iddle valve as suggested by Mitch, and still non running. I took off the flow fuel pipe, and lo and behold, the car started, until it ran out of fuel. Put the fuel pipe back on, and engine started, although a wee bit lumpy on tickover.

Not sure if this cures the cutting out at speed, so I'll give it a blast this affy.

Cheers

Si

Guest Alan_builder
Cheers for t'advice megadodo.

I cleaned out the iddle valve as suggested by Mitch, and still non running. I took off the flow fuel pipe, and lo and behold, the car started, until it ran out of fuel. Put the fuel pipe back on, and engine started, although a wee bit lumpy on tickover.

Not sure if this cures the cutting out at speed, so I'll give it a blast this affy.

Cheers

Si

Ford EFI system? hunting at idle, an air leak and the idle valve is having a hard time to keep the set RPM (don't adjust what looks like a slow running butterfly stop, it not there for that purpose, only to stop the butterfly jamming). The valve could be sticking as said earlier.

I took off the flow fuel pipe

I think this is circumstantial. You have been fiddling and moving things! Guessing I suspect your wiring to the injectors is intermittent, hence the cutting out while running.

This is not an easy problem to find. Had it on a mates car.

I :wub: my :rhsc: