Superspec Seats

Guest jwts

Hi,

I’m fitting the seats into my 2004 SuperSpec and the inner runner overlaps the seatbelt mounting. The only solution I can see is to saw off about two inches of the runner (just short of the mounting hole). Is this the correct solution? Is there anything I should watch out for (in addition to not cutting my own fingers off :) )?

I see there is some sort of plastic stop that stops the runner sliding right off. Is it worth taking the runner off? Does anything nasty happen if you do, like springs and ball bearings popping out?

I’m planning to go to Detling. I hope to see some of you there :D.

John (jwts).

Hi John

I have one of the early super specs and the mounting plate & floor has pre drilled holes for the seat, seat belt and fixing hole - not sure if yours is the same of if you have to drill the holes your self? I didn't have any trouble with things overlapping. Have you definitely got the right holes for the right item?!

One thing I found was that everything fitted better if I had the runners at different positions - ie one side was further forwards than the other.

I removed the plastic stops and everything stayed in one piece!

Another thing I found useful was welding the bolts to the runners. I found that I had to take the seats in and out a few times (including changing the seat for another type, but retaining the runners). This made it much easier to put the nuts on underneath and avoided trying to hold two spanners in awkward locations!

Good luck

Harvs

Guest rhetorical-oracle

Hi John,

As Harvs says I had separate holes for runners and seat belt mounts, there was no overlap? And he's right definately weld the bolts to the runners, as the seats will be in and out a number of times, and it's so much easier when you can just tighten up the nuts from under the car without having to worry about having a spanner on the bolt heads, plus it's a tight fit and it's not easy to get to them.

Phill.

Phill, Harvs,

My seat and seatbelt mounting holes are pre-drilled. The other three mounting holes in the runners are about 2cm from the end but the rear inner hole is about 5cm from the end (the inner runner is also longer than the outer runner). It was that extra 3cm was in the way. I chopped the extra 3cm off the driver’ seat inner runner and now it fits.

I don’t have welding kit but solved the bolt access problem by adding a nut directly under the runners. The large mounting holes in the floor seem to allow for this. There isn’t enough depth under the front mount for a standard nut so I cut a mild steel nut in half to give me two thin nuts and that worked :) .

I still have a problem with the seatbelt mounting though because it is too close to the tunnel side and so the bracket on the end of the seatbelt is jammed and can’t swing freely like it should. I’m wondering if I need to drill another hole further back and further out from the tunnel so the seatbelt bracket can move properly.

Thanks for the replies.

John (jwts).

Yes the space is a problem

I solved this by removing just a piece of the runner to allow the belt braket to swivel.

The passenger side was rge worst and I got seebelt is that how you spell it ! to rework the belt to extend the lap strap .. Didn't cost a lot and ensured the buckle was central for the SVA..