Iva

Guest kleighton

Guest kleighton

Morning all,

I'll be posting my IVA application very shortly, think I've got everything sorted on the form. I've just a couple of queries I hope can be cleared up on the few jobs I've left to do.

I've got a list of 10 little jobs that I need to complete before I take my car....A couple of them aren't IVA essential but most are. Here are some I'm thinking about:

1) Padded lower edge to dashboard - I can sort this out I think, some pipe lagging under the vinyl will sort this ?

2) Steering wheel cover - The ones that are on loan seem to have disappeared, so I think I'll have a go at making my own. I believe they deem to the 'spokes' of the steering wheel to be too hard a surface, so need covering. Does the centre need covering too ? (Mountney wheel by the way)

3) Exhaust cover - I think I can sort this out. Some people have used a waste paper basket cut up, so I think I'll have a look along these lines. Any ideas/pics on how to fit please ? What is it secured to ?

4) Rear reflectors - There are a couple in the light cluster, are these enough ?

5) Tethered petrol cap - Now this is a bit of a confusing one. the argument goes that the petrol cap needs to be tethered if the cap does not lock. Now, mine is a locking cap, and the key stays in the cap whilst it's locked, but can be unlocked (once cap is removed) and the key taken out. On top of this will the cap still need to be tethered ? I've also read that the petrol cap key needs to be on the same key ring as the ignition key but I can't find anything to back this up (however mine is but can be removed).

Other jobs include diff oil, greasing propshaft and covering bits up, so I can sort them.

Also, you know when you've got a question that you think's really silly ? Well I've got one. I've got a knocking coming from my front stub axle somewhere, and I'd like to know the best way to tighten everything........ "A Spanner" would be the obvious answer, but it's all tight. I suspect it'll be one of the ball joints. What's the best way to tighten these further to ensure the tapers are tight ?

It's a bit of a long one, and you've been bothered to get this far, thanks. As always any help or advice is much appreciated,

Thanks

Keith

This is from memory but the tethered petrol cap idea is so that you can't drive off and leave it on the pump or similar. The exemption is that it deosn't need to be tethered if it works off the same key as the ignition and the key can't be removed from it in the unlocked position - theory is that you would notice that you hadn't re-fitted it when you tried to start the car and founf the cap was still on the end of the key. I don't think there are any rules about where the tether attaches to so it could be held on the car inside the boot or with one of the rivets/screws that hold the rear panel on which make it easy to remove without leaving holes after the test. Attaching it to the cap depends on the cap itself really.

Iain

Guest kleighton

Thanks Iain,

Yes I believe it is so that you can't drive off without putting the cap back first. So based on the fact I can remove the key after I've removed and unlocked the cap I'll have to tether it......damn, was hoping this was a job I wouldn't have to do. I'll use a plug chain and see if I can fit it. There's nothing on the outside of the cap I can attach to, it's looking like I'll have to do this internally.

I wonder if I can get away with a spot of weld on the outside of the cap ? It'll not be pretty though.

Thanks again,

Keith

Guest Tweedy

Re.exhaust shield.I used a perforated sheet,rolled to a diameter 30mm more than the silencer.In my case the shield was approx 270 deg around as there was not room for it between the silencer and the side panel.I made up 4 'U' brackets from 20mm wide stainless,the distance across the 'U'being 15mm.One leg was drilled and a pair of these brackets was fixed inside the shield opposite one another on the vertical diameter.These pairs were positioned close to the silencer ends.Jubilee clips were then fitted around the silencer and slid along at each end to pick up the inner legs of the 'U' brackets.This gives a very strong attachment.HTH.

Good luck with the IVA.

Mike

Guest youngsterS3

hi,

I don't believe you need an exhaust shield for a heat protection point of view. One will only need to be fitted if you have sharp edges. When I did my SVA the inspector was not happy with the edge trim round the exhaust, he said it would fall off after it had got hot.. others have got away with this. a friend just passed his iva with no heat shield as the exhaust was finished well.

I just got a bit of aluminium, curved it round, put some edge trim on and bolted it into the top and bottom of the exhaust using rivnuts. I did start with self tapping screws, but they fell out. too much vibration there.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/youngster200...838389202973330

and a couple of pics after.

rear reflectors, the ones in the light clusters should do you as long as they are within the right location, which if your lights are I would say they are. you can get some stick on ones from ebay for a couple of quid.

petrol cap, a friend just passed iva with a bit of wire twisted round, it might have even been a bit of welding rod / flux.. whatever comes out of the machine!

steering wheel. I padded mine up with foam, vinyled over the top and kept it in place with cable ties and self amalgamating tape. friend didn't pad his and was fine. It is the edges i believe on the spokes that may be the problem if they do not have the correct radius and any screw heads my need to be filled with silecone if sharp..

both my sva and his iva were done at mitcham test centre.

hth

Chris

Guest robinj66

this might give you some ideas re the tethered petrol cap Locost site

I would forget trying to get a mountney steering wheel through the IVA and fit the Sierra item until after the test. This is based on the fact that the OEM gives you a greater radius for the "safe zone" and it is type approved (which the Mountney isn't). This is just IMO after certain comments made by one of the SVA testers when i put mine through - from what I've heard the IVA is even stricter.

The edges on the RH silencer were deemed sharp on my SVA - I therefore spent a huge amount of time splitting a length of brake pipe and then even more time bashing it on the edge of the sharp thing. :fool: Still it passed the test :yahoo:

Whatever you do - GOOD LUCK :good:

Guest kleighton

Some excellent replies there, thanks guys.

I like the way you've attached the exhaust shield Mike, sounds like a good secure way to do it. I realise that the cover isn't necessary for the IVA from a heat protection point of view, but I will be fitting it to cover any sharp edges, it is the RH silencer so I think the easiest way to cover everything is with a shield. Plus I've already burnt my shin.

I don't think I've got a lot of choice other than to use the mountney wheel, I broke all the internals for the horn from the Sierra wheel, so it won't fit back together again now. I'll try and pad it out as Chris suggested and hope they think it's sufficient. Chris, did you have any issues with them thinking your steering wheel cover didn't look like a permanent fixture ? This is my main concern about covering it.

Thanks for the link Robin, I'll try and post a pic of my fuel filler and cap it's not like the examples on locostbuilders. I'm wondering if I can solder an eye on the top to connect a chain. The top is flat, nowhere to connect a tether.

Again, thanks guys, reading your replies with interest.

Keith

Guest robinj66

Good luck with the Mountney - didn't mean to put you off. Would be interested to hear what the tester says about it when you get to the dreaded test :D

If you're stuck, I'm sure between us on here we could find you a loaner Sierra wheel. I certainly have the wheel but the horn ring unit is in use

I don't think I've got a lot of choice other than to use the mountney wheel, I broke all the internals for the horn from the Sierra wheel, so it won't fit back together again now. I'll try and pad it out as Chris suggested and hope they think it's sufficient. Chris, did you have any issues with them thinking your steering wheel cover didn't look like a permanent fixture ? This is my main concern about covering it.

I've got a couple of wheels at least that you could borrow - I'm sure at least one will have the horn ring intact. I've also got two different styles of Cosworth wheels for the SPD which I suspect may be a smaller diameter than the normal Sierra so might make life a little easier.

Iain

Guest kleighton

Thanks Iain,

I may well take you up on the offer of a spare wheel, I'll see how I get on covering the one I've got and let you know.

Cheers

Keith