Aldi Tool Bargains

Guest Leaner

Guest Leaner

Has anybody else bought a compressor from Aldi ? Ive just got one plus an air drill,impact gunand 3inch cut off tool and i think its xcellent value for everything for £109.00 all in > i also bought a underseal gun off Fleabayand i had a very good day under sealing the hood and playing with my toys 4 the boys yesterday !! Hope

+everybody else is having fun either getting on with their builds or having runs out in the sun im hoping to have mine back on the road soon so hope to see some ov u out an about .

Bernie :D

Guest Leaner

Double dooh !!!!! I must try and keep awake but im finding it a strugle now im getting in my senior years. Now what woz I just saying zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh i feel better after that power kip .

Bernie :D

Guest Ian Maycock

I bought the drill and cut off tool. The drill keeps stalling and needs a helping hand to start turning again. :(

The air just rushes out of the waste valve when it stalls. The cut off tool works OK.

Has anybody else had any similar problems with theirs before i take the drill back?

Iggy

Guest Ian Maycock

Hi Tom

Yes i oiled it before use. i know this because it all came out of the waste valve at the but of the drill all over my shirt :rolleyes:

Iggy

Hi Tom

Yes i oiled it before use. i know this because it all came out of the waste valve at the but of the drill all over my shirt :rolleyes:

Iggy

I,ve been using my drill a lot sense i bought it but i have a big 14cfm compressor and it don,t stall even cutting an 8mm hole through 6mm plate.

I have a set of the aldi air tools from a few years ago, and the best investment you'll make with it all is to bin the hose and couplings and get a decent larger bore hose. That will enable the full 4cfm at 100psi required to run the tools. The cheap hose that comes with the kit is such small bore that it's like trying to run tools with a capilliary line air supply. It's a massive choke. Machine Mart do all the hoses and change over couplings at a very reasonable price.

Guest Ian Maycock
I have a set of the aldi air tools from a few years ago, and the best investment you'll make with it all is to bin the hose and couplings and get a decent larger bore hose. That will enable the full 4cfm at 100psi required to run the tools. The cheap hose that comes with the kit is such small bore that it's like trying to run tools with a capilliary line air supply. It's a massive choke. Machine Mart do all the hoses and change over couplings at a very reasonable price.

What bore size are you using?

Guest fathead

There wasn't a hose with the kit. I bought the wall mounted hose and seems to work fine.

Regarding the drill. I had the same problem but after oiling it it worked fine.

The Aldi hose on the reel has a slightly larger internal diameter than that one so should be just as good from a flow point of view.

I use the same style of PCL connectors that you've pictured but I was debating changing to the ones that were suplied with the Aldi kit as they have a larger bore and are known as high-flow connectors (fairly sure they are a PCL standard too - although it's unlikely that the Aldi ones are actually made by PCL).

Just been having a dig and I think they are PCL ZF connectors but from the literature the ZF series is compatible with a couple of other manufacturers connectors so they might be someone else's standard that just happens to closely resemble the ZF stuff. Either way the important bit as far as flow is concerned is the size of the hole down the middle which is a nominal 10.5mm whereas the original PCL type that I'm using and you've pictured from Machinemart has a nominal bore of 4.8mm. The only other place for there to be a restriction is in the valve gear inside the couplings in which case you just need to replace those with decent ones instead of the dodgy pattern parts.

Further digging - the Aldi ones might actually be XF (or equivalent) in which case the above still applies but the nominal bore of the supplied connectors is only going to be 7.4mm. Should still give a higher flow than the PCL original stuff.

Having said all that I've never had a problem running any of my gear down the PCL connectors (apart from the D/A sander that my compressor simply can't keep up with).

Iain