Sub-k Crossmember

Guest David Cairncross

Guest David Cairncross

Hi all,

Just spent the weekend trying to remove the sump from our nearly completed Sub-K to shorten it. Having tried every combination of jacking the engine up and jigging it back and forth we still did not have enough clearance to slide the sump out from above the crossmember that links the car between the engine mount plates. In a moment of madness we took the hacksaw to the offending crossmember which is now leaning up against the garage wall!

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what effect, if any, this will have on the car??

On the upside at least we got the sump off!!!!!!!!!!

I like it :D and I thought I was having problems fitting my hood! Thats the spirit. Just make sure you weld it back in when you're all done, it's there for a reason you know, somthing about holding the car together I think. :huh:

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago but don't know what the conclusion was. It is there for a reason a) to help protect the sump and B) to add rigidity to the chassis on the road with the full weight of the engine in and G forces etc.

Be very careful welding it back. My neighbour over the road ( always fiddling with cars and bikes) burnt his garage to the ground on Sunday morning. We had three fire engines in this little cul-de-sac. Lost his car, his bike and lots of lovely tools. I really feel for him having been through exactly the same thing six years ago when my son's bike tank caught fire.

I suggested welding on some plates off the car and then bolting it back on. Much safer!!

Pete :o ;)

Guest David Cairncross

Just found the thread Fred2b mentioned....... Wish i'd read that before hacking it off. The general feeling seemed to be that it would be a very very bad idea!! Too late now mind!!

Also i have not left enough room to sleeve it and bolt it through so it'll have to be welded, the problem there being that i can't weld! Think a call to a local mobile welding company is heading my way!!!!

If your erly on in your build then may I sugest that you buy a MIG welder and learn how to do it, it's not actually that hard and it'll probably end up cheaper in the long run.

I've had to weld no end of brackets and things onto my car and the MIG was a godsend, another advantage of it is when there is an eclipse you can see it through the mask. ;)

Yeah thats exactly what i did a few years ago when the sun disapeared. B)

I havent got a clue how to weld, or a Sub-k but found the mask in the garage which worked a treat!! Did look a bit of a geek though whereas everyone else had little cardboard things. :lol:

Dave-i would get a mobile welder out then you can blame him if it burns down, and if there is an eclipse you can borrow his mask to watch it. :)

Cheers

Stu :D