Bogey

Guest merc190provan

Guest merc190provan

Hi Guys,

Picking my Zero up from GBSC on the 10th of this month and want to build a wheeled bogey as my garage is quite narrow and would be nice to wheel it out and get some sunshine. Due to lack of space i would like to almost mirror the chassis outline. Can anyone please help me with measurements of the complete lower chasis outline. Example, width at front, at rear, cockpit area and where it starts to taper and so on. I have asked GBSC but they always seem to be too busy. :shok:

Guest gixerboy600

Hi,

Firstly welcome to the club, I collected my Zero at the beginning of March and have enjoyed ecery minute so far!! A few words of advice though, throw away the build CD (assuming it is the same as the one I got)! Don't let that worry you, there is nothing complicated about the build and there are loads of useful images from guys on here who are further down the line and you are always welcome to have a gander at others in your area!

Dimensions as follows

Cockpit width 106.5cm

Cockpit length to taper point 90cm

Front width 50.5cm

Length from center of chassis (at taper point) to front 152.5cm

HTH's

John

Guest merc190provan

John

That is great, thank you very much. :yahoo: Was beginning to wonder whether i was going to have to wait until the kit arrived, probably would have been bedlam with the the rain forecast for next week. I am collecting the steel tomorrow so will give me a couple of days to weld it up and test out my new powder coating gear.

Thanks for the advice on the CD, was going to only use it for reference anyway, i have built a couple of race cars in the past so have a good idea as to where to start. If i get stuck i know all i have to do is ask on this great forum.

I was laid off 7 weeks ago so the build will get of to a great start but then slow to a crawl as i will struggle to find funds to purchase the engine, seats and clocks etc.. I am finding it a little hard to get motivated as i know i should probably be saving the money for future mortgage payments should the worst happen :cray:

How are you getting on with yours now, where are you in the build ? I understand that my chassis will have the new shape rollbar and earthing points built in.

look forward to corespondance with you in the future,

Marty Smith

Guest gixerboy600

Hi Marty,

No problem, New shaped roll bar?????????????????????????

Collected my kit in March, I too am not working and decided to use the money I ended up with on this and worry about the rest later!! Ah who cares anyway. I have currently got the entire back end mechanics in(drivetrain, brakes, suspension,footwells, o/s tunnel, rear internal panel, side infill panels, side panels, steering rack / column, mastercylinder with rear brakes plumbed in and am about to start the fron suspension / brakes.

What have you got coming kit wise and what are you planning to do????

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Cheers

John

Hi Marty,

No problem, New shaped roll bar?????????????????????????

Collected my kit in March, I too am not working and decided to use the money I ended up with on this and worry about the rest later!! Ah who cares anyway. I have currently got the entire back end mechanics in(drivetrain, brakes, suspension,footwells, o/s tunnel, rear internal panel, side infill panels, side panels, steering rack / column, mastercylinder with rear brakes plumbed in and am about to start the fron suspension / brakes.

What have you got coming kit wise and what are you planning to do????

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Cheers

John

The new roll bar tapers in at the top i saw them at gbs weds last week looks a lot better

Guest merc190provan

I have ordered an Orange kit with Stainless bottom panel as i am going to paint the scuttle,bonnet and back panel with full GRP rear wings. Got a slipper,gearbox,willwood 4 pots, rear discs and lots of other little bits and pieces. My budget should get me a rolling,braking shell just needing engine,seats and clocks etc which i will get when i am back in work. I have priced up a 220 bhp Zetec which will have to wait until funds allow.

Marty Smith

Edited by merc190

Guest gixerboy600

I have ordered an Orange kit with Stainless bottom panel as i am going to paint the scuttle,bonnet and back panel with full GRP rear wings. Got a slipper,gearbox,willwoood 4 pots, rear discs and lots of other little bits and pieces. My budget should get me a rolling,braking shell just needing engine,seats and clocks etc which i will get when i am back in work. I have priced up a 220 bhp Zetec which will have to wait until funds allow.

Marty Smith

Marty,

How much have you managed 220BHP for??????

I was planning to buy 2.0 Zetec from GBS with Jenveys and Emerald ecu! I bought the rear disc conversion kit with shocks and fuel tank, nearly at rolling tub stage with brakes, just gor the fron suspension / steering to go and she will be on the deck!!!

Just uploaded latest load of images, let me know your thoughts!

Cheers

John

Guest merc190provan

Zetec was priced at £4200.00 with shortened alloy sump. Rear disc conversion ??? I am fitting rear discs are the rear hub carriers different then, will ring GBS 2mos to check. I also bought the 2468 kit with shocks and tank. Almost finished bogey today will powdercoat it tomorrow, looks good will have to start my own blog. Now gona check yours out,the Ford dealer round here was doing 1.8 zetecs for £425.00 and 2.0 for £500.00, where do you think they are getting them from ?? Check your local dealer first beacause there are loads about, Ford just have too many. !!! 1.8`s are only £425.00 on the bay.

best regards,

Marty Smith

Edited by merc190

Guest merc190provan

Looks good mate. Photo 14 where brake pipe runs over top of ally panel, would put some rubber sleaving on it there or can i just not see it.

Marty Smith

Edited by merc190

Guest gixerboy600

Looks good mate. Photo 14 where brake pipe runs over top of ally panel, would put some rubber sleaving on it there or can i just not see it.

Marty Smith

Hi Marty,

Thanks, I asked GBS about the need for sleving and they said I didn't need to but I have bonded it all in with Sikaflex. £500 for a 2ltr zetec from Ford, worth enquiring about!

The rear disc conversion is a backing plate I bought from GBS to convert from drums to discs at the back it also came with discs, pads and calipers.

When are you collecting your kit??

Tomorrow isn't it??

Good luck and enjoy the moment when you get it home into the garage!!

Cheers

John

Guest merc190provan

Hi John,

Good job we didn`t pop in we got the van back with 5 mins to spare, someone else was picking up their kit too so took a while. Hopefully will get the orange bits into the loft tomorrow and finish painting the bogey which was a perfect fit (Thanks John). Then Saturday clean and powdercoat the chassis and try to sort the bits into some kind of order. New roll bar looks ace too.Had a go on p.bucket so have a gander.

http://s974.photobucket.com/home/merc190provan/allalbums

Edited by merc190

Guest gixerboy600

Ah collection day, such a proud day!!!

All looking pretty organised and the new roll bar looks a bit more thought about!

Good luck with getting started

Cheers

John

Guest merc190provan

Figured out the DIY powdercoat machine tonight and managed to get both rear hubs done and one front upper fender hangar. They look really good, hope the chassis comes out as nice as they have ,curing is a bit time consuming so will get another heat gun tomorrow and use both hands. I will post some pics tomorrow so you can have a gander.

Marty Smith

Hi Marty, Have you looked at the long term durability of the home done powder coating system? We have had one for about 3 years and for rocker covers and brackets it seems Ok even on rusty stuff once degreased and primed with UHT paint.

I did some wing top protectors for the jeep on thin small weave checker plate and after 2 and a half years it is starting to come off leadin gedge - we cured that in an oven but had to swap it round as door couldn't shut. Not sure if it is a problem relating to thickness of coat, cure temp or the surface but before doing a chassis I'd ask for other peoples experiences from the powdercoat macgic people - I'd hate your chassis to start peeling after a couple of years.

My perception of commercially done stuff is tht the coating is thicker which must be worth having on a chassis

atb

Mike

Guest merc190provan

Thanks Mike for the input, i have managed to get it on quite thick. I was going to have GBS do it but after seeing one i thought i could get a better thicker finish. I am trying to save money as i am out of work at the mo, we are going to do the chassis in stages starting next week, i am also wondering whether to just spray it in "International " paint you know the stuff they paint oil rigs with. Would be alot faster and easier to repair or touch up should any lifting start from stone chips etc.. this was always my argument against powder coating. Anyway i will start a thread and see if anyone on here has any opinions, thanks again for your input.Check out my results here....

http://s974.photobuc...rovan/allalbums

IMGP3209.jpg

Edited by merc190