Ball Joint

Guest chenzo

Guest chenzo

I have a Robin Hood 2b and i am bit of a novis when it comes to technical descriptions of certain items. Well novis at the whole kit car repairing thing!!!

The car failed its MOT on the near side front steering track rod end Ball joint being loose. Im not sure if that is what it is called but it is the ball joint that is at the end of the steering rod. Basicly i can't tighten the nut as it just turns the whole thread round. On my car i have a front set up that looks differnt to others. It is where the suspension slides on a center shaft. Dont know if that will help you understand the set up. I will upload pictures later on.

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this as i can't even take the nut off to replace it as it spins round when i try to undo it..

Shaun.

Hi chenzo,

You need to stop it from spinning obviously.

Can you get a clamp on it?

Either from the top (the thread) to underneath the joint, or get a lever in somehow to wedge it tight.

This may help it keep still while you either tighten it up or get the nut off.

Use some WD40 on the thread and leave it to soak.

If you take the nut off it'd be best to use a new one as Nylocs should only be used once.

HTH.

Guest peter2b2002

you could try putting a jack under the ball joint (if the nut is on the top ) lift up a bit so it puts some pressure on the joint, but it sounds like you have a sliding pillok suspension, I think Richard said on the build vidio to mount the track rod ball joint up side down and wiggle a drill bit to make a new taper, if yours is like that you may need to put a washer under the nut when you get it off

peter2b