Relays And Lights

Guest Big Mac

Guest Big Mac

Hi,

Just trying to sort out the wiring for all the lights at the moment but I am fairly lost! It is a Vicki Green Wiring loom that I have and i am trying to connect it to column switches that are from a sierra as far as I know.

Could anyone advise me on what relays I need (e.g. for indicators and hazard lights??....any others needed??) I have come across a few, would anything from here do?? http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/relays-371-c.asp If so which ones for what??

Also, I am fairly confused about what wires to connect to where as far as the column switch connections and relays are concerned.

(I am only wiring up lights and horn, im not running it with a heater or windscreen at this stage)

If anyone could point me in the right direction or give some advice it owuld be greatly appreciated!

Stevie

Guest Tweedy

Hi,I got hold of a Sierra fuse/relay box and then used the related Sierra wiring diagram.The Vicki Green loom provided all the long runs to lights etc.This way you get the protection provided by relays for more circuits.HTH

Hi Stevie,

I have the VG Loom.

You don't need relays for Indicators/Hazards, but you will for other things like Headlights, Horns & Fans.

There are various wiring diagrams on my Website which may help.

None of which are definitive solutions, but nevertheless, have all worked for me.

Good Luck and don't despair. Just take one circuit at a time and check thouroughly before moving onto the next.

Guest Big Mac

Thanks very much for the replies!

Can I not just wire up the Vicki Green loom to the pin connectors that come out the back of the steering column stalk switches and then not have to use any relays??

If not then where will I be able to get suitable relays because I don't have any at all and have no idea where to get them???

Thanks

Stevie

Edited by Big Mac

Guest peter2b2002

you will need relays for the lights and horn at least as the wires from the stalks won't be man enough for the power , you can get relays from most motor factors/spares shops and the correct size cable

peter2b

AFAIK the VG Loom was designed at a point in time where the stalks would take the current for Lights etc.

As time went on though, the stalks became lighter (were designed lighter) with regards to the current levels that they could carry.

Hence the need these days for relays. Especially when the current levels for lighting has also increased eg. H4s instead of sealed beams.

If you can get to Newark this coming weekend come and talk with m or any one of us.

If not, there's plenty of Auto Electrical suppliers on 'tinternet.

There's links on here and on my website. Premier Electrics are good and so are CBS to name only two.

HTH