The Exmo Is Is Alive!

Guest Stuartl

Guest Stuartl

The car is now running great AND for longer than 30 minutes!!

Turns out it was a knackered Rotor Arm, it looked ok but the resistor inside was caput. My mobile mechanic diagnosed a weak spark early on and when you look inside the rotor arm you can see that is has been arcing when hot.

See you at Uxbridge! :D :D :D :drinks:

Guest mcramsay

glad to hear it! sounds like its one of those seems like a very complicated problem when really its the most simple of things. those are always the worst because you convince your self its so complicated and start to overlook the basics!

Guest Stuartl

glad to hear it! sounds like its one of those seems like a very complicated problem when really its the most simple of things. those are always the worst because you convince your self its so complicated and start to overlook the basics!

Indeed! I filled her up with fuel and gave her a blast and she went great! Think the engine needs a bit of fine tuning but that will get sorted soon enough.

Big smiles today! :good: :yahoo: :yahoo:

i had a similar thing on my Alfa Sud Sprint several years ago but it kept misfiring and i couldn't find out why.

It wasn't until i broke down near Bury-st-Edmunds along the back roads (think Severance)that the AA man told me it was the rotar arm,

looking back it was obvious but i looked at the damn thing time and time again for at least 6 months before the car stopped working.

Thank God that my brother has the same initials as me. Cheers AA.

Dave

Guest Stuartl

Good old AA!

Like McRamsay said, it can be easy to overlook the simple things! I feel sorry for the previous owner, he spent a small fortune (£200 for a new carb alone) and still didn't find the fault and he is much more car savvy than me.

Guest Stuartl

well done Stuart - we'll see you out and about round Glos now?

My next 'big run' is Goodwood for the FOS.

Hi Pete, I am away at the moment but back in Glos tonight (Mon) so yes you will see me about. If you fancy a run out one weekend let me know!

I will be passing by your door at some point soon in the car as I want to go to Maynards in Stroud and have a chat with them about the engine (but dont tell the wife!)

Guest pwlcarz

Hi Stuart

Yes, I went to Maynards last year to get him to look at mine, but he didn't like the breathing (lack of) nor the 32/36, bonnet too close to the air filter - was touching. Hence I now have the bonnet scoop to try and help that.

Tried to get me to go for side draughts but unfortunately don't have the funds for that (too many other things the boss want to spend my money on!!).

Yeah, must get together for a run out - perhaps down to the Forest and meet up with Agent Zed (Dan).