Engine Started

Guest sadjagboy

Guest sadjagboy

Well I got my first burn from my hoodie tonight, after getting the engine running for the first time :clapping: I bought the poorly knocked together rolling chassis mild steel sliding pillar 2b with a siezed engine 3 years and 3 months ago. To cut a very long tale short, I've got the engine running with the original carb even though this is where the water that caused the seized engine got in!

Can some one tell me what sort of radiator cap I need to get, I've got what I think might be a Cortina radiator, if so I then obviously I'll need a Cortina radiator cap. I'd just like to confirm what the radiator is likely to be from,the kit probably dates from about 1999.

Thanks

Angus

Rad caps are a fairly standard fitting so almost any will do the job of sealing the hole.

The next thing is the pressure it'll hold. Generally around 18psi works on Hoods but since each car is different this is by no means definite and should only be considered a starting point to get you running around and to the point where you can establish what you really need. The higher the pressure it will hold the higher temperature the water can get to before it will boil but the more pressure the coolant system has to withstand without leaking somewhere.

They also come with and without a second seal around the extreme outer edge of the cap. This is designed so that the system can draw coolant back from a non-pressurised expansion bottle/tank (an overflow bottle). Some cars run without an expansion tank and allow the car to vent ecxess coolant onto the road but generally this is a bad idea when the vent point is not the highest point in the system and if you are venting from the rad in a Hood it probably isn't.

Iain

Guest sadjagboy

Thanks for the replies, looking on ebay and from the dim and distant past I thought they were mostly pretty similar, I'll start off with what ever my local factors have, so I can get some coolant into it and get the timing set up to run nicely. Once I've wired up the fan!

Regards

Angus

Guest madasafish

Thanks for the replies, looking on ebay and from the dim and distant past I thought they were mostly pretty similar, I'll start off with what ever my local factors have, so I can get some coolant into it and get the timing set up to run nicely. Once I've wired up the fan!

Regards

Angus

congrats on getting the engine running, not the burn lol.

I have a selection of caps you could try including the new one that came with the kit. Best place to get one would possibly be Dingbro in Kirkcaldy.