Series 3a Fuel Tank Leak

Snapperpaul

Whether it was the trackday or general abuse I don't know but whilst fixing the leaky fuel sender once and for all and also fitting a new flush fog lamp I discovered the smallest but persistent leak.

It seemed to come from a weld seam about an inch from the bottom, so today I removed the tank and sealed the pinhole leak with 2 layers of petrol patch (£6.50 from Amazon) then while re-fitting I found the cause.

On the S3a the tank sits 1 inch lower than the folded edge of the rear panel and it looks like the tank has moved backwards and slightly dented on the razor sharp stainless steel edge .

I have modded the tank straps and covered the sharp edge with door seal from the donor.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AWhite

I've just had my tank out to fit a new fuel pickup pipe and discovered I've had the same problem although it hadn't gone through but was definitely on its way. If you've got a monocoque its worth checking your fuel tank to see if you've got the same problem. Basically, as Paul says, the return on the tub is super sharp and can rub against the fuel tank (see below). As Paul says I've just run some edging over the sharp edge to protect the tank:

Andy

89af7b26.jpg