New Type 2b Chassis

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

2bfrank and I are having a few problems with the hand brake, on the new style chassis the hand brake is mounted on top of the rails but the plate that the cables go through is too close the the horse shoe bit on the rear subframe so that there is not enough room for the cable to pass through, it looks like it was designed for a part zoro with rear wish bones :help: peter2b

Guest smartfazer

I think this is what Peter2b means, as I have one of these chassis as well.

I had trouble with this also and realised that once all the panels and boot floor were in, there would be no way of adjusting the handbrake without taking the car apart, so have altered the design a bit and brought the system up and over the top.

post-3477-058674700 1280509915_thumb.jpg

Guest smartfazer

This is what I have done. If the picture is clear enough.

I fabricated a bracket to accommodate the adjusters.

I will get some better pictures tomorrow and post them up.

Steve

post-3477-020032300 1280510231_thumb.jpg

Guest peter2b2002

Hi Steve, in your picky the bracket that the h/brake cables go through is welded on the front of the tube away from the dif, on 2bfranks the bracket is welded on the back of the tube towards the dif, me thinks some one got it wrong at GBS

cheers peter2b

Guest smartfazer

Take a look on my web site, http://www.johnskitcar.com and look under build then handbrake, you will find a picture of how I fitted mine.

Hope it helps

Good luck

John

John,

That looks very neat, I like it; although the shape of your chassis is different, plus your handbrake mounting sits higher.

What handbrake cable did you use? The adjusters look better than the Sierra nylon things.

Will get some more piccies of mine tomorrow.

Steve

John, Love the website - i am sure to return to it for other tips!

This is the biggest Airfix Kit I have ever attempted (but with airfix most parts fitted!).

The handbrake option looks simple, but my chassis is slightly different: still the principle you have used is sound. I guess I need more angle iron.....

2BFrank

John,

That looks very neat, I like it; although the shape of your chassis is different, plus your handbrake mounting sits higher.

What handbrake cable did you use? The adjusters look better than the Sierra nylon things.

Will get some more piccies of mine tomorrow.

Steve

I upgraded my rear brakes to discs from Matt Lewis racing and the cable came with them, sorry but haven't got any name or number on them.

John

Guest smartfazer

Here's some more pictures.

Sorry they are in single photographs but I am still trying to get my head around the image re-sizer.

Steve

post-3477-090755300 1280579549_thumb.jpg

Guest smartfazer

This is probably OTT but I have built a transmission tunnel to fix under the chassis tubes which incorporate the seatbelt anchorage points (inner) plus somewhere to fix brake/fuel pipes to etc.

post-3477-006314900 1280580548_thumb.jpg