S7 Suspension

Guest allan.bell

Guest allan.bell

The front suspension on my Dolomite based S7 is as rock hard. Everything vibrates, the wing mirrors keep falling off and all me teeth are lose.

Is this the original suspension off the donor car is it possible to replace the springs and shockers with something a bit softer.

Many thanks. Allan

It was a long time ago but as I remember mine came with new front dampers with eyelet fixings top and bottom but I don't remember what, if any, spring. I think the RH suggestion was to carry the Dolomite spring over.

I measured the c/o spring rate to be around 220 lbs/in.

I then looked at the different front end weights (calculated as I was using a ford kent engine, not Dolomite) and came up with what I thought might be a more suitable spring rate.

I had some 2 1/4" ID springs made in different rates, settling eventually on 180 lbs/in.

I had to turn up top and bottom ali spring seats which sit on the damper. I also made some ali slide in spacers for adjusting the ride height till I got it to where I wanted.

I have the c/o front stab bar fitted.

This gives a soft ride with little roll.

Hope this helps.