Efi Fuel Pump

Guest bloke

Guest bloke

can anyone help?, connected all the gubbins up today (after being motivated by all at car craft) and put 2 cans of fuel in, turned the key, the engine turned over, and that was that

the fuel pump didnt start as key turned, checked wiring to haines and 'seems' fine

wonderin if its the pump... can u test these on the car or the wires...???

lookin forward to any replies :ph34r:

Guest rizla

:huh: this pump is usealy powerd by a relay is it ok,or have you left out or knocked the fuel pump impact switch this item used to be mounted in the boot slam panel or spare wheel hole on the sierra and when at the AA got many calls to this item at tescos people used to drop their shopping in the boot and knock it out/trip out

hope this helps

Guest Battery Bill

Bloke

We had the same problem and after testing the pump was working by connecting it direct to the battery we found it was a power feed to the relay at fault so a quick connection to a power source and the pump pumped away as advertised. :D

the fuel pump didnt start as key turned

the pump should come on twice. When you put the ignition on it should come on for about 1 or 2 seconds, and then it should come on permanently when you crank (and start) the engine.

Ant

Guest SteveL

Bloke. Have you fitted a filter between the tank and the pump? If not, it may be knackered. The EFi fuel pump is quite fragile, and all it takes is a small piece of plastic/metal/grit from the tank to stop it working.

Put a small filter in place between the tank and pump, if you haven't already done so.

Steve

Guest bloke

have tested an pump works so ever onwards

have looked everywhere for a 15mm id filter? and after reading a thread along time ago warning against using an 8 mm have left it out?...

Guest Battery Bill

Bloke we had loads of fun trying to get such a filter, we ended up making our own using some steel gauze and an old fuel Damper thingy that sat on top of our Granada's fuel pump. We have some pictures Here

They might be of some help.

Good luck anyway. :D

Guest paul mercer

I used a standard sierra coswoth filter (cosworth engine). It has a 15mm inlet and outlet, which goes into a standard 15mm fuel pump inlet and from the pump is an 8mm high pressure outlet. As far as i'm aware, most ford external fuel pumps have this configuration. If you're having trouble getting a filter to fit, chat to your local motor suppliers.

I have an 8mm filter with the outlets removed and ends bored out to 15mm, and the whole thing is then housed in a custom made aluminium filter holder.

Nowt to do with fuel filters, but my car is stuck at work at the moment - it wouldn't fire when I came out of work tonight! I think it's my ignition module (again!) but I'll know more tomorrow when I've tried the spare I've got in the garage.

Ant

Guest bloke

paul, will do but doesnt sound cheap

ant hope you sort your prob soon

ive got here started today (with lots of good advice from those in the know - here and tech line) connected up as wall chart and switched through the relay on the bk/y wire - sounds fantastic.... :D