Donor Car Documentation

Guest chrisnel

Guest chrisnel

Hi there. Wonder if someone can offer any advice. Having been keen to buy/build a kit car for a number of years I am eventually taking positive steps. Have seen advertised for sale an unfinished kit car project. According to the current owner the kit is a Robin Hood based on a Ford donor vehicle. Unfortunately the current owner has no documentation for the donor vehicle. Is this a problem? Would I need to produce some form of documentation or V5 etc when I eventually got round to registering the car?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

Regards

Chris

Guest JohnS

I had no V5 for mine as it had been declaered scraped.

But Ford are good to us there engine number has a two letter code which tells you when it was built eg mine is GG which is december 1986, the engine number is also the last part of the chasis number if these agree its the original engine,

with just this information i got an age related plate,

It also tells the SVA examiner what emmisions he should be testing to.

Hope this helps

John S

Guest Stuart Ainslie

Buy another donor, register in your name and have the engine number changed on the V5, then scrap it keeping the V5 and chassis plates.

Should then be able to get an age related plate as opposed to a Q - what difference a Q makes, I do not know as everybody will know it's a kit anyway........

HTH.

Stuart.