The Never Ending Build

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

has any body else got to the point that they feel they will never finish there build? i had little build work left on the car in early december and after working 6 weeks of 12 hour night shifts with 3 days off i came into some money, i decided to put around 2.5 grand aside to send the car up to GBSC to have it all completley finished and IVA tested. i had an initial conversation with richard about taking the car up and a proposed date was agreed, however a week before the date i wanted to speak to GBSC and just confirm, around 5 phone calls and numerous requests for richard to call me back later and still no reply i decided that i should finish and IVA the car myself.

this is when things have now went pear shaped. in finishing it my self i decided i wasnt happy with my standard of work, resulting in the backend being completley redone, ie the loom was repositioned, wiring redone, new brake lines made, new fuel pump mounts, new hand brake etc etc etc. i then started moving up the car, and then convinced my self that i really wanted to fit a floor mounted pedal box, around 6 weeks after deciding that ive finally just about finished it today. this means i have to put everything backtogether which ive taken off to do the brake pedals.

at the moment the job list looks a bit like this

-fit and wire pressure sender in block

-adapt wiring for the new pressure sender on the Dash unit

fit throttle and clutch cables to pedals

-refit the jenvey throttle bodies

-refit the alternator and water pump belt

-tidy up some wiring in the engine bay

-fit a fog and reverse light and tidy up the wiring

-wire in the fuel sender

-drill dash and mount oil pressure gauge

theres a few more bits to do but thats all i can think of at the moment. Ive set my self an end date of March to finish the car. thats almost 2 years since the start of building. if theres any body in south west england Near taunton that wants to lend a hand please do. as i cant seem to see the finish line with this build!

Edited by mcramsay

Guest snotfart

do not despair,i was only changing the engine,i have been at it about 14 months now(about 26 hours a week)

as i see it if you do a bit every day it must eventually get finished.

i must confess to having a little "crisis" about 2 months ago but am back on track now and will be back on the road this summer.

I took mine off the road after using it for a year and started to rebuild it, but ended up going to the Falkland Isles, Iraq (twice), Kenya (twice) a few places in between and am now in Gibraltar.

I mot'd it in June '10 and get about 4 hours a month if i'm lucky to work on it. i still haven't finished the Rear Suspension yet and I've still got the front to rectify before i can re-mot it.

At least i have a garage now, even if it holds the junk that cant fit in the house, the car has to stay undercover on the drive.

Things just sometimes take a while longer than planned.

Dave