Tall People

Guest clivea

Guest clivea

All,

Firstly I'm new to this so please accept my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

I *think* of embarking on the purchase and build of the sub K however I have one initial question.

I'm 6'4" and quite broad - are there any people out there of such a size with a Sub K and if so do they fit in the car?

Thanks,

I'm 6 ft 6 and I have an almost complete 2B. I've done two things to gain extra leg room, both of which apply to the sub K chassis as much as to the 2B:

1) Forget donor seats and RHE's recaros. Either get yourself a pair of slim bucket seats, or do as I am doing and make yourself a bench seat and two fixed seat swabs rather like in Ron Champions "build your own sportscar for 250 quid" book.

2) Move the outside lower seat belt mounting points further back in the chassis. To do this I've made two thick plates of steel and clamped them around the diagonal tubes which go up from just above the original mounting hole. The clamps were turned up at work so some fabrication is required here to get something of adequate strength for the SVA rules and regs, and for your own safety. The plates also bolt into the original seat belt holes, and effectively move the seat belt mounting point back in the chassis by about 5 inches.

I'm not SVA'd yet, but I don't see these modifications causing me to fail. Hopefully I'll know in the next month or so.

Hope that helps.

Ant

PS - I've taken for granted that you'll move the steering wheel up into the dash, and get the seat back panel as far back into the chassis as you can. Both of these things are regularly done by other builders.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Battery Bill

Hi CliveA (and Ant)

When Joey and I put in our order for our 2b I asked Richard about raising the steering, his response was very negative.

I am 6 ft 4 and felt pretty cramped in the RH 2B. We are not doing as per RH on the bonnet, we are doing like Ants and fixing the bonnet at the windscreen area and hinging the bonnet further forward.

We can now fit our steering wheel much higher and further up and that along with our positioning of the pedals means it is really comfortable, we are even going to try and cut down our Recaros to see if they work cutting as much metal off as possible.

Have a look at our website if you like www.billbrown.org.uk

Cheers

Bill and Joey

Guest aspringett

I have a finished sub k and i have a squeeze getting in and i am 5ft8 my seet could go back by a few inches but also you have to look at the fact my head nearly hits the roof when it is on also you have to nearly put your leg round your head to get out. you could try setting the steering wheel foward and put a thin bench seet in you may be ok