Quick Release Steering Boss

Guest neal@cmtelecom.info

Any body fitted a quick release steering boss to the sierra column if so help required

have cut the shaft and welded splined drive to end as required ground welds to shaft and made good but the splined drive is around 1mm bigger at the splined end so will not fit back through bearing in column

HELP!

i dont want to have to make a new column up with new bearings as that will mean all the indicator stalks and light stalks will have to have fabricated brackets

somebody must have the answers

Guest russell555

i bought one of the rage ones from motorworld..... drilled the existing boss and bolted to the wheel. brings the wheel closer and makes getting in and out a doddle...

only downside is you need very long fingers to reach the stalks

ok it seems the only option after speaking to several people is to make a new column with two new roller bearings inside a steal tube then weld a new bracket to that for mounting and bracketry for the indicators. Fun!!!

will update how i get on unless anybody comes forward with a better idea

so have purchased all the parts to complete this job as it seems no one has attempted this, even went to Dax Sports cars as they are local and asked them if they had attempted it and was told NO

I cant believe that it is not a common thing. Oh Well !

I have 28mm roller bearings for the shaft with an outside diameter of 35mm these will be housed in a new column made from mild steel tube.

the shaft needs to be machined down slightly to fit the new bearings and the column will be machined as well to an exact fit for the bearings this will then need fabrication to allow the existing indicator and light stalks to fit

will post some pics as I get started

Guest mower man

Why not go to your local auto recyler and procure another column from a sierra ? it seem you are making work for yourself ,sell the boss kit on flea bay and buy the correct one ,by, the way you will need a push button dash switch for the horn,as far s Iknow you cannot use the horn button on aq/d wheel bye for now mower man

there are a few quick release bosses available which are straight bolt on items but these all bring the wheel closer the the driver.

I too want a quick release but from what I've seen the hex type seem to have too much backlash. the spline type are quite a bit more expensive but you can now get some with electrical connection with in. (these are mega bucks! £300+) would be cool to have wheel mounted indicator/ horn/ flash though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...