Prop Shaft

Guest Noddy006

Guest Noddy006

Hi All

Whilst out for a run this weekend I noticed a small 'clunk' when going from idle to first accelerating. Investigation looks like some play in the prop rear u/j. As this has circlips I guess it is an item that can be serviced rather than replacement prop. Question is 'is it a job for home or proffesional'. I vaguely remember doing one 'too' many years ago. It also looks as thought I will have to either cut some of the floor away under the tunnel or engine/box out so could be a pig to do anyhow. Any advice appreciated. Ian H

Guest mower man

I think youv'e answered your own question ,why people box the prop in defeats me ,if you want to do it make a removeable panel 8/10 "in front of the diff or up to the front uj to allow service .My mono car is open all the way no probs mower man [mick]

my exmo is boxed in the full lengh upto the rear u/j, Is this something the builder would have done or is it part of the tub. may remove if possible as I do worry about the prop twisting but not being able to see it.

(sorry for hijacking the thread)

Guest Noddy006

Thanks Mick. I intend to cut out under the prop but as it was a part built buy and this area was already done I am wondering about getting the refurb kit. I am not sure if it is a Sierra prop. I assume it is. I hope to do the shopping tomorrow and maybe get it done before Stoneleigh.

Jamie I am not sure if the chassis on yours is different but on the Sub K I think the bit under the prop is not a structural requirement. I am thinking of doing as Mick by putting access plates in so that it keeps the worst of the c--p out but can still be available for service. Cheers Ian H

Guest mower man

my exmo is boxed in the full lengh upto the rear u/j, Is this something the builder would have done or is it part of the tub. may remove if possible as I do worry about the prop twisting but not being able to see it.

(sorry for hijacking the thread)

As I posted earlier my 96 ish build s7 is open all the way in theory a box will be stronger but I have not had any probs ifI get round to it I may box it but the panel will be removable with prob riv nut fittings every 1"or so for maintaince reasons and to go with a projected rear diffuser as before when I get round to it mower man :good:

Guest smartfazer

Looks like I need to get myself another prop shaft made.

In fitting the Zetec and trying to fit the raceline water rail I have to move the engine/geabox forward by 25mm which exposes the prop shaft connection into the gearbox by the same amount, meaning that there will only be approx 45mm connected to gearbox output shaft :shok:

I'm going to chat with Richard at stoneleigh to see what he thinks, but it's either a new prop or a spacer between prop and diff, which I've been recommended against.

If I go the bespoke prop shaft route (which looks likely), there will be a new, unused GBS supplied one for sale on here, if anybody interested ;)

Shame this problem didn't come up before. I could have delivered to Stoneleigh otherwise. Why does the timing never work out???

See you at Stoneleigh

Steve