Rs2000 Alloy Sump

Hi all,

Would anybody happen to know what the difference is sump depth is between the standard 2.0l sump and the rs2000 alloy sump. There are several alloy sumps on ebay at the moment but I belive that modifying a tin sump gains more clearance. After 7 years and over 7000 miles my tin sump is so battered it is well overdue a leak and needs replaced.

Cheers,

Nigel.

If you mod your tin sump, then you will be at 5½" from the engine fitting face, and level withy the bell housing. If you fit the RS alloy sump, you will be about 6"+ from the engine face, which is ajust over ½" deeper than a shortened sump.

Hit a steel shortened sump, it will probably bend, hit an alloy sump, it will crack.

you pays yer money, and take yer choice!

Guest MikeD318

I have just finished shortening my sump (I was going to buy one but then I thought I'd give it a go first and I also thought the alloy ones were a bit expensive for what they are). Can't post any pictures of it at the mo because I've got to find the time to update my website first. I think it looks like quite a neat job though. :wub:

Guest MikeD318

It was a bit of a pain to get water tight but welding on a bench with clean metal is so much easier than stuck upside down under a car welding. B)

Guest chris brown

It’s easy to do, use something like 3mm steel for the bottom and put the sump plug low down in the side easy if you are going to put the side box on. That way the sump becomes its own skid plate just in case

Guest Charles B

I have an alloy sump on mine. It looks good, but, it must have a tiny crack, as I get a spot of oil right at the bottom. I won't use it again when I upgrade my engine. As the others say, I do worry about clouting it. A good plate of steel on the bottom is better.

More useful is the alloy bell housing I got. It weighs a fraction of the cast iron one, and was easy to fit. well worth keeping an eye out for.