Different Handbrake

Guest mickmellors

Guest mickmellors

Can anybody advise me of any cars that are likely to be in a scrapyard that have the old fashioned handbrake that pulled out of the dashboard like an umbrella handle.

An old Uncle had one on one of his bench front seat cars which i think may have been a Humber Hawk or a Vauxhall Cresta.

I dont particularly want to floor mount the Ford handbrake and dont want it on the tunnel top either so this seemed like a good alternative if I can find one

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi Mick

My old Toyota Hi Ace van and Camper had that type of handbrake also mid seventies VW campers and vans had the same thing, may be worth a look.

Rob

Guest graham dockerill

Mick, mark 1/2/3 zephyr, zodiac,consul (fords) all had umbrella handbrakes, but after meeting you at Detling I don't recall you having really long arms. Prehaps you are going to use a walking stick to grab it when your pulled into a 4 point harness. Regards Graham

Guest Paul S Usowicz

Mick

I noticed an under dashboard pull handbrake in my Dads pickup the other day. I can't be sure of the exact model but its a new Ford, Ranger I think. This was another idea I was toying with as well. Pop in to a Ford garage (commercial) and see what they have. I would prefer a new one to a potentially rusted one from a scrappy.

Cheers

Paul S Usowicz

Guest Bernie

Jaguar, Series 2 XJ6's for sure, had them and I've seen a few of those in scrappys too. I used to have a lever off one in my garage but couldn,t find it when I came to do the handbrake on my 2B so settled for a modified floor mount job. Still to find out if that satisfies Mr. SVA.

JAGUAR-ePARTSdotCOM are advertising what appear to be the levers on their site, second hand @ 4.95 GBp (sorry I've only got the $ on this keyboard/PC setup)

Try looking at http://www.jaguareparts.f9.co.uk/Stock_RptPage13.html , if my understanding is correct it's there as part number 300517, "Handbrake control complete (walking stick)", a nice description. Inexpensive too if that gives you the mechanism complete.

From what I remember the lever is simply pull for on against the ratchet, rotate through 90 deg and push in to release. Mounting it and connecting to the rear will obviously involve at least one, and possibly two, pulleys. Also, If mounted under the dash, it may prove as difficult to reach as the standard floor mounted job when tightly strapped into your seat but could be worth investigating.

Guest 2BBoulton

The old Mercades (old N plate) had the umbrella hand brake. I don't see a problem with fitting it under the dash. With the 2B you need more play in the harness to reach the current hand brake than you would if it was located under the dash. I was toying with the idea of having it on the right hand side somewhere. (need to get the bits first to see how big everything is)

Bruce