Throttle Cable Return Spring

Guest whiz

Hi Guys ive just fitted bike carbs to the zetec when I operate the pedal it opens the carbs but its not closing as smoothly as it should. I'm maybe thinking that the return spring on the carbs isnt up to the job. when the carbs are on the bike they are fitted with a return cable . Any solutions would help thanks

Andy

I had the same problem and although it looked as though it would return fully, the tension in the cable prevented it from doing so.

I attached a spring to the bottom of the arm where the accelerator cable attaches on the carbs and then attached the other end of the spring to the chassis tubing. It seems to work and haven't really had any issues.

Make sure that the cable has no loose strands. I once had this catch and this prevented the accerator from returning. Had to turn off the engine and coast to a stop.

Guest marsbar

Hi Andy I saw someone had this arrangement and I copied it, its a bit of a lash up but works.

I used 2 no 1 pence pieces for the washers, a spring from a old clutch cable, and the little brass things that lock it into place came from a Chockblock electrical connection, cut down the middle and filed so they fitted.

Anyway necessity if the "Mother of All Inventions" so see what you can get you hands on.

Pictures attached

post-3899-0-48087600-1307894789_thumb.jpg

post-3899-0-97095700-1307894800_thumb.jpg