Gearbox And Bellhousing Wanted

Guest Guy

Hi All,

I'm after a type 9 RWD gearbox and bellhousing from a V6 as used on:

Granada 2.4 V6

Sierra XR4I 2.8 V6

Sierra XR4 2.8 V6

Caprri 2.8 V6

These gearboxes have a longer input shaft than the Pinto type. I want to stick it on the back of a Sierra XR4X4 to make it into 2WD. If anyone has done this or has practical advice on doing it please let me know.

• 1 month later...
Guest deano

Is the engine a 4x4??? as these have the diff in them for the front wheel drive and a shaft to the transfer box!!! so more involved than just sticking a box on and i think your find capri box is different to a xr4i and a manual granada i reckon your be hard pushed to get one

Thanks for the reply Deano.

I've got a gearbox now, it's off an XR4I so it's a type9 with long input shaft. All I have to do (I think) is take an XR4X4 2.8, remove the 4WD version gearbox and put the 2WD unit in it's place.

Guest deano

Guy.

Hi were are you from? ive gone after a 4x4 and a xr4i i only want the back end out the 4x4 so if interested in the rest maybe sort something out havent got a price yet but could use 4i cross member, struts etc etc to finish your 4x4 off.

Just a thought

Deano :mellow:

Thanks for the offer but I'll pass on that one, I will need the whole car except the gearbox, front drive system and stearing rack.

Well the plan is (when I've finished the RH) to make a new car from scratch. It isn't going to be a lotus7 style car, more of a sports tourer of the '50s with a square chunky look. The chassis will be based on a Locost but will be slightly bigger (like the RH). I'm going to use SS panels just like RH because they look real nice. It's going to have a 2.8 V6 with limited slip diff. All I need now is an XR4x4 and lots of time. On the registration document the make and model will be a GTA Cryptkicker.

It's all up in the air at the moment, no definite plans as yet but I've learned lots from building the RH and I've got good ideas.

My main failing is that I'm impatient and I rush things so I have to learn to be more thorer, this is why I still haven’t finished the trim on my RH. When that’s sorted I can start.

When I was a kid I used to live near Brooklands Racetrack, and my dad used to take me there and tell me stories about the time he rode his mates motorbike over the top of the banking! Tomorrow I’m taking him there in the RH to get some inspiration for the new car, it’s my Birthday treat B) .

• 1 month later...
Guest huggy

Guy, hope you don't think I'm sticking my nose in but the sump on 4x4 engine is a huge alloy lump that holds front drive shafts and diff which are driven by an external shaft that runs forwards from the gearbox. I'm not sure whether a standard sump will fit in it's place. If you're looking for high top end performance from the 2.8 then it struggles due to having 2 exhaust ports 'siamesed' into 1 manifold (on both banks of cyls). The engine flattens out on power above 5700 rpm. Ford recognised this and brought out the 2.9 which has redesigned heads that separate the exhaust ports hence at high rpm one cylinder isn't trying to fill the next one with exhaust gas. Go the full hog and get hold of a 2.9 with cosworth heads and go up from 150 bhp standard to 205 standard !!!! All the best.. Huggy :rolleyes:

Huggy,

Thanks for the comments, I've been looking at the complexity of this recently and the sump plays a much bigger part in the 4WD than I originally thought. I was under the impression that the diff was a separate unit but without a car too look at or a picture of the sump I’m still a bit in the dark.

Massive power output isn’t of such great importance, I wanted a V6 mainly because it’s slightly different and would be in keeping with the image of the car, 150BHP should be enough. I chose the 2.8 because (I think) I can fit the RWD gearbox.

I think that if I can get a cheep XR4i then life would be easer, or maybe I’ll just use a Pinto.