2b Front Suspension Set Up

Guest The Rev

Guest The Rev

:huh: Wee question...

I have a 2b with the wishbone suspension set up. Over the past weeks I have begun to notice feathering across the outer 3/4 of the front nearside tyre. I can accept that the outer inch or so would get scuffed off if I was "being silly" around the back roads, however wear/feathering across such a portion of the surface makes me worry.

I firstly thought this might be indicative of the f.n.s. wheel being toed-in a bit too far, but on speaking to a friend in the tyre business he indicated that camber angle could be suspect and account for such wear... combined with tracking.

Before I fit new front tyres I would like to get the camber and tracking correct. Irrespective of what the "official settings" are could anyone give me the benefit of their on-road experience and let me know what camber and tracking they find best suits their 2b.

Thanks.

Rennie

Hi Rennie,

Well I'm a bit of a skinflint, I will pay for good stuff rather than cheap crap, but I do want my money's worth out of it, and tyres come high on the list. So mine (mark 3) is as near as dammed, no camber at all, with 1 sixteenth of an inch toe in, and I get absolutely perfect wear from my front tyres.

Guest The Rev

Thanks guys. Most helpful.

Like you I think its worth spending time (and some cash :boohoo: ) on the four rather small contact surfaces between our machines and the roadway.

However, I'm sure you will agree that there would be little point in shelling out hard earned cash to see the tyres scrubbed off in a few hundres miles... I have seen new front tyres scrubbed clean in under a week of normal use, on a chap's "ordinary" car where a track rod had been slightly bent.

Regards,

Rennie