Vinyl Wrap

johnhetherington

Finally got to the stage where I need to colour the front cycle wings and rear mudguards. Decided on Vinyl Wrap, watched all the videos on You Tube, looks dead simple, what can go wrong.

Bought 3 metres of Black carbon Fibre, looks great, textured finish, very realistic, couldn't wait to have a go.

Bl**dy hell it is difficult, god only knows how the guys on You Tube manage it, mind you they were using 3M which is literally 3 times the price of the wrap I bought. Completely messed up my first go and runied the vinyl, got totally disheartened and was on the point of throwing the cycle wing across the room.

Enter my wife, bless her, she covered the dash for me and understands about the laying of fabric, she worked in London many years ago as a couturier (posh dress maker)but there is no way she could make this stuff look good.

What a star, took her 2 1/2 hours, with me helping by holding the hair dryer and achieved a near perfect result, no I will say virtually perfect.

We have now had a go at the second cycle wing, equal result, next weekend the rear mudguards.

If any one tells you Vinyl wrap is easy, don't believe them, it is not. However the result and finish of the wrap is brilliant, well pleased, this build is really turning into a family affair.

Couple of pics to show our progress.

Cheers John

http://www.johnskitcar.com

post-2376-0-98091000-1315159834_thumb.jpg

post-2376-0-12695200-1315159868_thumb.jpg

Guest Hammy360

Finally got to the stage where I need to colour the front cycle wings and rear mudguards. Decided on Vinyl Wrap, watched all the videos on You Tube, looks dead simple, what can go wrong.

Bought 3 metres of Black carbon Fibre, looks great, textured finish, very realistic, couldn't wait to have a go.

Bl**dy hell it is difficult, god only knows how the guys on You Tube manage it, mind you they were using 3M which is literally 3 times the price of the wrap I bought. Completely messed up my first go and runied the vinyl, got totally disheartened and was on the point of throwing the cycle wing across the room.

Enter my wife, bless her, she covered the dash for me and understands about the laying of fabric, she worked in London many years ago as a couturier (posh dress maker)but there is no way she could make this stuff look good.

What a star, took her 2 1/2 hours, with me helping by holding the hair dryer and achieved a near perfect result, no I will say virtually perfect.

We have now had a go at the second cycle wing, equal result, next weekend the rear mudguards.

If any one tells you Vinyl wrap is easy, don't believe them, it is not. However the result and finish of the wrap is brilliant, well pleased, this build is really turning into a family affair.

Couple of pics to show our progress.

Cheers John

http://www.johnskitcar.com

I agree mate, I did my scuttle recently with a view to also doing the bonnet. I finally got the scuttle looking good but am now have the bonnet painted!!

• 3 weeks later...

I was the exact same, bought some stuff and thought it would be a piece of cake!

Oh how wrong I was....

Ended up getting a friend who works for a graphics company to do it, he said the front wings were the hardest thing he has ever had to wrap due to the various radius involved. Got a great finish though.

Props to your wife for that result!