Megasquirt Maps

Joel

Guest old_timbo

I've just got back off holiday and seen your post. I converted to my Pinto to MS using the standard injection manifold and throttle body as well as EDIS and have fine tuned my maps over the last few months. Have you got a Wideband Lambda sensor installed and are you using the latest versions of Tuner Studio and MSExtra Firmware? From experience it will be more difficult to use other options. My VE map won't be much use to you, but my target AF ratio table and ignition map, plus the rest of the set-up in the .MSQ file should be a safe starting point. Then it is a case of using Tuner Studio and Megalog Viewer to fine tune everything. Once you have a good driveable car then you can book some rolling road time to get a better ignition map and fine tune the fueling. I've not done this yet, (fitting a supercharger this winter, so will be back to square one again) but it is better than on the carb set-up I had particularly, low down and mid-range as well as being much more economical.

Tim

Hi Tim,

This is great news, any help at this point would be enormously appreciated. :good:

I've downloaded Tuner Studio and the Log Viewer and various other bits, but at the moment I'm still configuring the basic parameters in MegaTune (injector settings, calibrating thermistors, etc), and haven't got as far as tables or starting the engine. I think I'm going to need some kind of PWM-able vacuum idle valve too, which I haven't even started trying to get my head around yet.

I have the Stack wideband kit installed, which I think uses a Bosch sensor.

Should I pm you my email address?

Cheers, Joel.

Guest old_timbo

Yes PM me your email address. A couple of other thoughts. I assume you have MS2. Are you going to use Speed / Density (RPM & Inlet manifold pressure) or Alpha N (Throttle position & RPM). I use the former as I have a single inlet plenum chamber, but as you have 4 throttle bodies this might be more difficult. Also if you have a hairy cam with a lot of overlap Alpha N will probably be better as you won't get much inlet vacuum variation.

I just use the standard Sierra idle valve which is 12vdc on/off. So I get an idle of up to 2000 rpm from cold until the engine reaches my set temperature of 70 deg c when it closes and idle drops back to 900 rpm. I think there are various similar valves which you might be able to adapt. The PWM types will enable you to have a variable idle speed, but are a complication I wanted to avoid if possible. You don't actually need one at all if you don't mind keeping the engine going with the throttle unitl its warmed up. For your first trials best to have fast idle disabled anyway.

Tim

Yes, I have MS2 v3 main board. I was hoping to use speed / density rather than Alpha N if I could help it, but as you say my setup might be against me in that respect. I do have vacuum take-offs from each TB, which I can branch together but it remains to be seen how much and how consistent the vacuum will actually be, especially with my cam.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to feather the throttle until it was warm (I used to have to do that with the carbs anyway!), but it would be nice if MS took care of all that.

Anyway, I'll pm my email address now.

Cheers. Joel.