Unrealistic Ambitions

Guest snowy2

Guest jasonmorris

I have standard sierra discs and calipers all round on my zero. Ok I'm only running just over 170bhp but I can stand on the brakes as hard as I like all day long with no fade at all.

As for the engine, in my opinion fit the best you can afford and if you can't then wait until you can because if you don't you will regret it later on when you're craving more power. These things cost a lot to build, hell may as well do the job properly. Only my opinion of course.

Rgds,

Jason

Knowledge, experience, personal opinion, budget, lifestyle, garage tools and equipment available (dare I say it 'even the wife has an input') we all build/modify kit cars.

We use this forum to gain advice from like minded people, learn from mistakes and to support others.

We are all different.

Knowledge, experience, personal opinion, budget, lifestyle, garage tools and equipment available (dare I say it 'even the wife has an input') we all build/modify kit cars.

We use this forum to gain advice from like minded people, learn from mistakes and to support others.

We are all different.

I think Mark has hit the nail on the head here, and it just shows people's differing opinions, be it technical or financial (The Wife) dicision,

otherwise,,,, wouldn't we all be driving Mondeo's?

A great debate,

Dont get me wrong some cars standard brakes are fine.....some (like those i have) are not.

I do like to start some interesting convo's sometimes, some of what i was getting at are the abandoned projects with track engines.

But i do bump all the time into dreamers who all want road legal dragsters for buttons. these folks never drive any proper sports cars so have no idea of the potential of them with even modest engines and to be honest more would be built and enjoyed if they were assembled with the donor engine.

Do you think those kits would still be for sale as unfinished projects even if the plan was to use the donor engine?

I reckon 90% would be, so everyone who has built and finished their cars please take a bow and leave the dreamers behind at the bar, lol

the most common excuse i get from these "part builders" is lack of funds, one recently i looked at for someone as a potential project had an engine that cost close to £5000 he claimed (Vauxhall i think...i wasn't interested it wasn't for me) the builder was using a donor gearbox and back axle the rest of the kit was as sent by the manufacturer (tiger) it was described to me as 90% finished..... :) :) What the guy had spent on the rest of the project was less than the engine alone, the donor engine was still under a tarp in the drive. it wanted ripping to bits and redoing. true it was a cheap car for the money he was asking.....if you liked his engine choice and were looking for something similar.

If the car had been built with the donor engine (1800 cvh i think) what had been spent would have put a very nice car on the road it could have been driven and enjoyed.

True some of what he lacked was ability or inertia to finish the project (it was no where near 90% finished) but lack of funds killed the project. I am convinced if the donor parts had been used the build would have progressed much better while the initial enthusiasm was still high. the car being much nearer to being finished when the funds became a problem would have, i am sure, have encouraged the builder to finish the car.

I must own up to a slight bias, I am also "finesse" type of driver over the Pont and shoot style of cars. My own car is only 100hp or so but still a riot to drive. True I now hanker after a few extra horses now and again, but I resist because it wont be more fun to drive. Faster but not more fun. So I live with it and enjoy. I have owned BMW 325 that some previous owner put a turbo on it was mental.....in a straight line, but try clever stuff like corners and it got scary quickly.

So all my kit cars have used standard engines, and every one was a blast to drive, not supercar performance but great fun.