Any Driving Instructors On Here

Guest big kev

Guest big kev

Looking at starting up as a drivering instructor for the AA basic idea is that I work for a fire service which I love but while I'm on my off days I could be earning some more car building tokens. I work currently 2 days 2nights then 4 days off so in essence I have three days where I could be earning for my self

So

The AA run a driving school offer to get me totally qualified and offer a franchise with 1600 quid off for the first six months then once you have held the franchise for two years they give you 1100 quid back in you hand.

Which when you add the two amounts this pays for your initial training costs.

And there's the car point of view it maintained through them and changed every 36 weeks.

I've heard scare stories about other companies like red but all good from The AA.

Has anyone been with these or know any one who could give some advice

Guest Davey B

Looking at starting up as a drivering instructor for the AA basic idea is that I work for a fire service which I love but while I'm on my off days I could be earning some more car building tokens. I work currently 2 days 2nights then 4 days off so in essence I have three days where I could be earning for my self

So

The AA run a driving school offer to get me totally qualified and offer a franchise with 1600 quid off for the first six months then once you have held the franchise for two years they give you 1100 quid back in you hand.

Which when you add the two amounts this pays for your initial training costs.

And there's the car point of view it maintained through them and changed every 36 weeks.

I've heard scare stories about other companies like red but all good from The AA.

Has anyone been with these or know any one who could give some advice

You could be earning for your self IF you get through the 3 Examinations - the hardest part is the PART 3 Instructional Ability Test which most people fail and the current pass rate is only about 43%. What is the franchise after 6 months and will the AA provide you with enough pupils to pay it and remember you have fuel to pay for and NHI as well as Tax. The good thing with the AA they only provide Fully Qualified A.D.I's unlike other schools who have Trainees working for them as well. Being a Driving Instructor teaching Learners can be hard work and you will have to work long hours as well as weekends to make it worth it, whatever you decide to do make sure you research it fully before committing yourself and forget those wild claims of earning 30 grand a year it wont happen.

Guest steve8274

hope your brigade doesnt bring in same rosters as i have. work in greater manchester and after working for 2 days and 2 nights, they can then call us in to work middle days off. either days or nights.

that would really mess up your time for driving.

steve

Guest The Modfather

Kev, I looked into the AA driving school about 6 months ago. For me I didn't think that it was viable on the wages basis. It seemed that the idea to start was a good one, seemed a good package (new car every 6 months) but when you sit and do the sums, I would've had to work 70 hours a week to earn somewhere near to what I get now, after you pay back all the money over the term.

They will charge you for customers if you fall short of getting your own, and this is where they earn their money. Getting a good customer base started is the hardest bit. You will need to look at how many other instructors are in your area. If it's low then you will benefit, if it's high you will compete. Bearing in mind that the independant instructors will charge significantly less than the AA, they don't have the corporate image that the AA do.

My cousin joined RED, and regretted it. he was badly treated, no work, and a multitude of other things. He is now an independant but had to put a lot of money, time and effort into his business. I asked him how to go about it all when I first looked, and he advised not to go with RED, and to check the figures with the AA. Unfortunately I didn't have the money like him to start afresh, so I've given up on the idea for know.

I may still have another look when I retire in 12 years, but for now it's a no-no. I did speak with one of their staff regarding the exams, and if you have do any response driving course you shouldn't have any problems, either taking instruction or giving instruction. If you haven't, then perhaps doing an advanced course and reading Roadcraft will put you in the correct frame of mind.

Long and short Kev, look bl00dy hard at the sums mate before you sacrifice a large sum of money.