Build Costs

Guest tom-zero

Guest tom-zero

hi all i no its a little cheeky to ask and will fully understand if people would rather not say

but im trying to work out how much this zero is going to cost me lol

im trying to build to a good spec with new parts apart from the odd recon parts

ive already spent close to 7k inc my diff recon and there is loads more im going to need like an interior wheels front hubs inlet exhaust steering stuff iva and registration plus loads more lol

im trying to do it for under 10k am i being unrealistic ??

i would find it very helpfull if a few people could just tell me what theres have cost to build

thanks Tom

Guest mcramsay

i recon i have roughly spent somewhere in the region of 12-14 grand to get mine built. thats the total cost of everything. but to be honest i went a bit wild, and it can be done much much much cheaper.

Guest tom-zero

thanks mate i dont intened on going mad on it but do want to build a "good" one, its already cost me a little extra for the wide body lowered floor stainless pannels and powder coating and brand new zetec engine "i want a new registraion plate" lol and just spent 360 on getting my diff recond to a like new condition but it is a 3.62 LSD with bolt on shafts so i think worth every penny

I would concentrate getting it on the road then after IVA spend the money on special items. I have probably spent £6k but I'm tight and look everywhere for a bargin, not worried about the registration plate. Just be careful some have spent a fortune and have really good cars but are surprised when they sell no where near the price they believe the car should be worth.

Guest mcramsay

ive over spent on mine completley, but i know i will never see half the money i have spent on if i sell the car. at the end of the day you have to build the car you want to. i stuck all the gadgets on like the raceline water rail, and innovate wideband lambda system, a twin bias pedal box (which i removed and ebayed prior to IVA) all things you dont need to fit to the car. they were just things i though would be good to add in, and it made the build more complicated and a bit different! my advice would be build the car with IVA at the top of the list, get it through and then do what you want. i did the opposite of that, and my build ended up becoming not so fun. and extremely long winded.

Guest tom-zero

i take on bord what u r saying i think the things i have spent that little bit extra on are just laying a good foundation for me to start from like the powder coating and stainless pannels for example

as for resale this car will be my baby and will never be sold so not so worried about that

thanks Tom

Guest mcramsay

i didnt have my chassis powdercoated - in hindsight i wish i had done. fair play mate, you are pretty much the same age as me when i started my kit, i bought it when i was 21 and im 24 now its finished! dont rush! you will find the stainless panels a bit of a pig to work with, invest in some good drills! as drilling through stainless panels can be a nightmare!

I invested in a hand held "Power Punch" for the holes near the edges of the stainless.

It copes really well for the 1/8 inch holes and leaves a neat, flat finish. (Centre pop the location as there is a locating nipple on the punch which sits in that for alignment)

It proves useful in punching holes in the rubber trim as well.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/Power_Hole_Punch_Set_PWRP

Simon.

Guest Hammy360

I reckon £10-11k and you'll be looking at a sorted motor, Like others have said dont over spend on shiny things as they generally end up on ebay as you change your mind. I think the advice of concentrating on getting it on the road is very good advice as you can always add/change things later. Also bare in mind that some things that look like a better bargain will actually cost later. I dont mean by buying cheap you suffer from a quality point of view but simply there may be hidden additional costs later. Mapping is one great example!

Edited by Hammy

Guest snowy2

Asking for build costs is like asking how long is a bit of string.....not having a firm idea of what you want increases costs because you will spend money and change your mind. it depends what your aiming for. on the road ASAP is do-able for 5-6K some mods and tuning and tidy newish car for 10-12k and all the bells and whistles 20+k some one i know has spent 28+k on an absolute pearler of a “seven“ style car!

The vast majority of cars you see finished and at shows are the first cost group the vast majority of the unfinished projects on ebay etc. Fall into the last two catagorys.

work it out for your self, but best of luck whatever you decide.

Guest Getting There

Hi

I now hope I have all the parts I need and am looking at £14k excluding IVA, but incvluding everything including mapping, exhaust, rad and hiring of vans etc for transport. I just kept a book and everytime I have spent anything over a pound I have written it down and £14k is what I have come up with.

As everyone else says, you will never get back what you have spent on the car if it were to be sold, and what you end up spending is completely upto you and the finished car you want.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Chris