Speedo Drive

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

just spent the last 2 weekends trying to get my speedo working, I have been using a hall effect unit connected to the end of the speedo cable, it use to work ok ish but the neadle use to bob up and down (15mph - 60mph) due to the route of the speedo cable (original sierra type), I had a magnetic sensor so I thought I would use that instead, brackets made 1st one fitted to the gear box to pick up the magnets on the prop--- nothing , so another bracket made to fit onto the dif housing to pick up the uj bolt heads still nothing,, had another look at the pick up instructions seems it wont work with my speedo , it needs 3 wires , sensor only has 2 wires, never mind I thought, chop the speedo cable down to 12" from the gear box, shortened the inner cable fitted the hall effect sensor to the other end connected eveything up as it had been , started the engine into gear

still nothing, checked the other end of the hall effect thingy with the engine running and in gear (back end up on axel stands) nothing moving, chected the cable was fully inserted seems there is no drive from the gear box

any one had this problem?

peter2b