Fitting Hood Set

Guest ant.b

Guest ant.b

hi all

ive just got my hood set from rhsc :) and im looking for some pics of how the two sections of tube fit to the car(2b) :unsure: a pic will make it a lot easier to see!! also the prestuds that come in the kit , are in three bits , one rivited/screwed to window frame ,the other two ,the shiny cap part does this just pierce through the hood to fix to the other part as it seems to be a loose fit when putting together by hand, do i need a tool to compress these together?? :wacko:

cheers ant

Ant,

you are right, the cap part goes through the hood material(should have holes in hood already at correct intervals) and the popper part with wire spring inside goes the other side of the hood material to sandwich it in between. The protruding part of the cap is peened over inside the popper to clamp it up tight.

I bought a popper kit from a camping shop, it had all the tools in (punch/plastic anvil) to secure the parts together, cost about £8, plus you get a few extra poppers just in case you muck up

Les

Guest ant.b

hi les , will be going to stoneliegh on monday so will take my camera for some pics the roof is on temp , but have not fixed the roof bars yet , so will see how others have done it before i fix them permenantly.. :blink: :blink:

ant

Guest ant.b

hi ian

thanks for the pics at least i can see how they go together ... how do you keep the doors shut as they come with a vinal strap at the rear of the door do you just fit a press stud to this and then the other side of stud on to the inside of the upper arch tube?as ive not done anything with mine yet as it seems a bit of a squeeze to get this in and fastened when in the car :unsure:

cheers ant

Guest graham dockerill

Les, i,ve tried a couple of camping shops for popper kit, but they were'nt very helpfull.(any national shops that you can think of) I've now had a thought could I use the concave/convex parts of the brake pipe making kit. Put the two bits together on the bench with the hood inbetween and hit the socket with the brake pipe splayer? Is this an answer ? :mellow:

Guest Ianz

Graham

Use a pozidrive no 2 screwdrive,a couple of whacks with hamer ,will split the

brass tube of the fastener into 4 segments,,you can tape the "petals" with an old bolt........works every time!!!!!

Cheers Ian

Graham,

As Ian says, you can use a variety of tools to do the job the only problem is keeping the shinny outside part of the popper curved without putting any marks in it when peening over the other side. With a kit you get a curved plasic shoe for the popper to sit in so it don't get damaged, if you can find or make something simular that shoud do fine.

I got mine from a camping/caravan accessory shop, I think the army stores do them if you have one in your town as they sell all manor of camping and outdoor equipment.

Les

Sorry not a very clear photo.

Ant,

I got a kit from Frost (www.frost.co.uk) which is basically a pair of mole-grips with various attachments to crimp all sorts of these things. It also comes with many different types of fastener (including some poppers very similar to what came with my hood). If you want to make a bit of a trip (Darwen) you could borrow it as it is a bit expensive to buy just for the number of poppers around the hood (I also had a 40ft narrowboat to make a couple of covers for so it paid for itself a bit quicker).

I know some have had good results with the posi method but I wouldn't recommend it as the resulting rivet in the popper isn't as strong and i've seen many of these where a couple of poppers are left on the car when the top is removed. Just a comment - I'm sure it's worked fine for some people.

Iain

TRY YOUR LOCAL NEEDLECRAFT SHOP I GOT A PRESS STUD SET AND USED THE CONE SHAPE TO HOLD THE PRESS STUD AND A X HEAD SCREWDRIVER BIT TO SPLIT AND SPLAY OUT WORKED WELL AND USED PRESS STUDS ELSWARE. ONLY ABOUT £5 A KIT.

STEPHEN ALTWASSER.

Guest ant.b

hi iain/all

i looked for the type you have ,but had no joy so as les suggested i went to my local camping shop and they had one for £8 quid :D , so ive now used this and its seems ok im just starting to fit the roof bars , and fasteners for the side screens, so i should have all the info i need (i hope)

cheers ant

Guest graham dockerill

Thanks all, allthough it was'nt my thread to start with, I got the kit Les showed from our last large local hardware store that after about a hundred years is now closing. Its a shame as you could buy most things like two nails etc if you wanted. (now it's B8Q and Homebase where you have to buy a plactic box full). Kit was £6.15 with 15% discount as they are closing. :p regards Graham

Guest Ant

B&Q - a hardware store? Nargh. They said so themselves. There I was looking for a camlock for my boot a few months back now. I asked an assistant if they sold such a thing and when they eventually grasped what I was describing the reply was "Sorry, you'll have to go to a hardware store for one of those". And there was me thinking that the B&Q Warehouse in Nottingham was one of the biggest hardware stores imaginable! :o :o :o

Ant