Iva Day . . . . . Fail!

Guest Sharky

Guest Sharky

Well, I haven't posted for a long time as I have been busy with work and family stuff, but the IVA Test day finally crept up on me regardless!

So why the fail?

Well ten days ago, my windscreen wiper motor failed spectacularly and had an internal burn out - that scary familiar burning smell was a big worry until I discovered that the BBQ was confined to the inside of a small steel pot! Phew, my wiring was intact, so lucky escape there! So, GBS are going to have a look at this and get back to me.....

Meanwhile, no wiper motor for IVA, so screen off, wiper gearboxes out and demisters etc and some hasty blanking at the weekend and lets hope that the new section of the manual is not rigorously applied. So in essence, all's well then, until the coolant leak was spotted on Sunday evening! Aargh!

Leak seemed to be from the seal on the rail, easy fix, bit of goop and Bob's you Mum's brother! . ... No still leaking, but had to go to work! Back home Wednesday evening with some high temp gasket sealant, try again...... Now it's worse! Sh!!!!!tttt! However, on careful inspection, it's actually coming from that half inch long crack in the stat housing! Oh now that's bad, thats really really BAAAAD! Eight in the evening, IVA test at 08:30. Well done me for having the foresight to have some emergency J B Weld! Quick repair and rapid cure in AGA bottom oven, and yay, all fixed!

So to today ... Set off in plenty of time, car felt great on the twisties, speedo is out a bit but I can adjust that on the rollers, so all looking good. 14 miles into the journey on motorway, engine died! Hard shoulder poke about, suspect HP Pump, then all back to life and fine. Brill, jumped into the seat, helmet on, up to speed and pulled out, snicked third, engine died again!!! Back to hard shoulder.

Bit more poking about, no HP fuel, so pump must be nadged, not happy, phoned and cancelled test and phoned recovery. Cardiff VOSA chap is a nice guy and very understanding, said to call him when I thought I would be ready to go again, at least that was a good thing!

So back in the garage by half ten ..... Jumped 12v straight to pump .... Works! Checked my wiring .... Continuity confirmed .... Still no power to pump on ignition though.... Scratched head, brew and a biscuit.... Took relay box cover off ..... Pump relay had worked loose!! Pushed it back in and the bloody thing came back to life!!

So mixed emotions now! Bl@@dy annoyed I didn't spot it at roadside, but glad it was an easy fix! Now off on hols for two weeks, so can't even get a re-test until mid-June!

Hopefully, that was my three bits of bad ju-ju!!

I shall let you know how I get in later next month!

Sharky