Fuel Tank Fixing

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

Fellers

I'm wanting to fit my 40 Lt tank in my 2B stainless chassis. I've welded up a frame to support the tank on top of the chassis tubes and worked out from the pictures in the RHE brochure the top fixing for the strap using a U bolt. It's the fixing of the bottom of the strap I'm a bit puzzled over. It seems to me if I use another U Bolt fixing at the bottom of the uprights this will interfere with fitting of the rear body panel but I can't see what else to do unless I rivet or bolt the strap to the underneath of the chassis tube that runs across the back of the car. Maybe that's the answer - but before I do it I'd be grateful for pointers from those of you who have already successfully fitted your tanks.

Also, with regards to the frame I'm thinking of bolting it to the two chassis bars, on which the tank rests, that run twards the front of the car. Is it OK to drill right through the tubes or should i just go through one wall and use a big self tapper? I worried that drilling right through the tube might weaken it.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Phil Slater

Guest SteveL

Hi Phil

I made up a frame for the tank to sit on, and added some small extensions which stuck out either side. These were then used as a fixing point for the retaining mechanism, which was a long piece of angle iron with a hole in either end, and a couple of long bits of threaded rod. This was used like a battery retaining clip, the long section of angle iron across the top of the tank, and the threaded rod going to the opposite corner of the frame underneath.

Take a look at my build diary, under May 13th, for a picture.

I bolted it to the two chassis bars with no problems. The chassis is thick/big enough to take a couple of holes drilled in it.

Steve