Super Spec

Guest Wrighty

Guest Friar Tuck

Mine is a Turbo version, quite a few mods from the normally aaspirated engine, one of which is the battery position, yes it does go below and in front of the engine, and I am waiting for the brackets from RHE.

I am progressing well, with a steady approach, and am thoroughly enjoying it !

I have applied for my SVA test , and hope to have the car on the road in time for Newark.

Friar Tuck

Guest nomis

Where is your intercooler?

I wasn't happy with its original location cos I couldn't see how air was going to be forced through it.

Mines now mounted vertically at the front above the Radiator, behiond the fan, which means the battery can go where many in this forum think is a good place for it.

Have you worked out the cooling system and Vacuum pipes associated with Turbo?

Guest Friar Tuck

Nomis

I have left the Intercooler where it is, I haven't foreseen any problem with it.

Still got to sort out the water cooling for the turbo, and also a few extra plugs on the loom.

How far along with the build are you?

I wish I could understand the history behind Battery Bill and his comments.

For his info, with the Turbo engine, the battery is designed to go in front of the engine and behind the radiator. When I receive the brackets from RHE, I will be able to confirm this.

The reason for this position is the fact that the air filter and associated tubing has to go ewhere the battery would be on a normally aspirated car.

The Friar

Guest Simon Harbour

Bugsy,

Went up to RHE yesterday and a good look round the Super Spec. I had a go at depressing the clutch and then asked Gina if it was normal that I was so stiff, to which she asked my girlfriend "If I was a big girl and did I always moan as much as this ?"

I have nearly convinced myself to buy the 50% built car in the showroom. As I am banned from getting the turbo, I am going to take the gamble.... She won't be able to tell the car has a turbo, she does'nt even know what one does, she just knows that it make a car go fast and that means I'm not aloud one!!

B)

Guest nomis

Theres an ongoing 'fun' debate about whether the battery is best located at the back.

I'm just starting to get to grips with the scuttle which is fiddly and needs to be very tidy (Dashboard bits) and being a fussy taking me a long time. Hope the end result is worth it.

Attached is a picture of the front of my car showing the Intercooler mounted above the Radiator. Richard provided the bits. I'm happier where it is because I think Air will be driven through it from the nose. The Fan (not shown) impedes this, but longer term I will replace it with smaller ones sitting snug on the radiator below the air flow.

I've got my Turbo part plumbed (return) for water, but waiting for some instructions/bits from Richard before completing it.

post-12-1084705257.gif

Guest bugsy
she asked my girlfriend "If I was a big girl and did I always moan as much as this ?"

This is why i didnt ask :D :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the info simon, keep us informed on progress and Good Luck.

Bugsy

Guest Wrighty

Hi Simon,

Do tell,

Does that mean you have ordered one ? B)

By the way,

I sat in the superspec at stoneleigh and i was suprised by the pedal resistance.

I tried to press it hard but giving the amount of people stood round wondering what i was doing, and being a little cautious in such a shiny new car that nothing snapped or broke (the cable, not my leg or ankle :mellow: ) which would of been embarrasing i didnt dare give it some welly.

Think id best join a gym......

Guest Bob's Babe

Simon, you really need to give the girlie a few lessons. Even I know that if it sounds like there is a hole in the exhaust then the car is a fast one. All I ask of Tim is that every time he makes Bob go faster then he has to make the brakes better :D I trust him to do this and just keep saying...remember you have me and three kids left here! :p Have fun and get the girlie to a few shows. You never know we might convert her. Even I'm not that interested in cars but I've made lots of friends and have a good time when allowed out! B)

SUE :wub:

Guest Friar Tuck

Nomis

I now understand your question re Intercooler position.

When I bought mine, it was already situated ewxactly where you have put yours.

I have mounted the fan and air horns on dural brackets in such a position to maximise air flow throuigh the intercooler, and like you , I am sure that there will be sufficient air flow.

When I can sort out resizing photos, I will post one of this area.

I will be sorting the scuttle this week, and will be in touch for advce if I hit any problems.

Regards

The Friar

P.S. I now understand why they call him Battery Bill, but keep asking myself " WHY PUT IT IN THE BACK ????????", when there is precious little storage anyway!

If I read his web site a bit more thoroughly surely I will find the answer.

All the best

The FRIAR

(Battery Bill, please note the spelling !!)

Guest nomis

Friar,

Originally mine was between engine and passenger side scuttle, horizontal, which is how I guess they are fitted on the car the engine was built for. Having one of the first Turbo's I discussed this with Richard and I guess he changed the design - Good.

In an early stage of the debate I asked him where to put the battery - He then provided photo's and brackets to locate it behind the steering rack. Hence I assumed the Battery in the front proposal was part of leaving the Intercooler at the back (if you see what I mean).

Clearly you get more space on the firewall if you put the battery behind the steering rack, but I think there is room in the 'Normal place'. My current plan is to mount the Air filter straight onto the Turbo Air intake using about 4 inchs of the 2 foot tube supplied which means it fits below the battery mounting plate.

I guess the trade is ease of maintenance of Air Filter/Battery. But I'm going to look again now you've raised it.

Whats your thinking on this - Have I missed something?

Haven't found a place I'm happy with for the water bottle yet.

Cheers

Nomis

Guest Friar Tuck

Nomis

We are on the same lines i think, I don't recall seeing when you collected your car, but I took delivery of mine at the end of November, so that will probably explain the differences.

Having spoken to Richard about the washer bottle, He advised that the intention was to mount it below the area where the battery would be with the injection engine, with an extension to the filler up to a reasonable level in front of the expansion tank and coil.

I have not got there yet, but expect to be sorting it this week.

Will keep you posted of my progress.

The Friar

Guest Friar Tuck

Nomis

Went up to see Richard yesterday for some bits and pieces that were missing, the area of Turbo cooling and also vacuum connections is still outstanding, waiting for parts.

Had a good look over the car in the showroom, and solved all the queries that I had, with the exception of the Turbo cooling and vacuum.

How did you sort this out, and where are you on the build?

I applied for my SVA test, assuming a long wait, and last Thursday got my appointment through for Thursday 27th ! Had to call and postpone yesterday morning, first available date is now 21st June, but I have asked to be notified of any cancellations.

I am definitely putting the battery in the front, behind the rack, and will be putting the washer bottle below where the normal battery tray goes. This will mean pulling the air filter up a bit higher than I think you have it, but should make it easier to clean.

Let me know how far you have got!

All the best

The Friar