Finishing

Guest Simon M

Guest Simon M

I'm getting near completion of my 2B and have been wondering how to finish things off over the rear wings.

I can't think what to do with the junction between the crescent strips and the arched tubes of the chassis, and then over the tube to the inside.

If anyone has any suggestions or photos please can you post them.

Thanks

Simon,

I got hold of some 0.7mm aluminium sheet. I basicaly cut a strip of this and moulded it round the top of the tube and down accross the join between the cresent and the tube. Once I had a piece that covered the join nicely I covered it in some thin foam and then some vinyl and attached it with a couple of self tappers.

I used lots of the thin ali sheet during my build as it is so flexible and easy to work with. I used it to cover up/fill all those difficult to finish areas around the rear sub frame mounting points and in the boot etc.

Richard

Guest jwaterman

Simon

I finished my arhes off with some old radiator hose cut down the middle, cut and shaped to fitt. Then i covered the hose with vinyl. To hold to attach to the car i used some good old evo-stick (no uglt self tappers in sight). Make sure you hold it in place firmly till set. Looks really good.

To finish off the tubes between the arches and dash i used some plastic household white 38mm (i think) drainage pipe. Cut down middle to remove a 10 mm strip which was discarded. Cut and shap to fit tubes. Cover with foam and vinyl and wrap around tube to fit. This method does not need any ugly self tappers!!!!!!! It just clips on, its a good fit too. Looks like a production car finish.

Hope this helps

John

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tom Lawless

Hi Simon

I have just had the same problem that you are having. I have covered the seat back panel with carpet and have left it wide enough to cover the curved chassis and allowed the carpet to fold over and fit behind the crescent shsped infil panels. It is importand that the gap between the rear wing and the curved chassis is sealed with mastic before the carpet is fitted behind the crescent shaped infil panel or water will soak up like a wick. I will try to add some photos to this reply. If they dont appear send me an email to tom613@aol.com and I will forward them to you. Regards Tom. :p

Guest Ant

I'm going to be doing this job in a few days time. My plan is to use 38mm plastic pipe on the straights, covered with vinyl or foam and vinyl. On the curved part I am going to attempt to use a section of bicycle tyre, covered in vinyl or foam and vinyl. If that doesn't work then I'll try heat-bending the 39mm pipe to the curve. Failing that it'll be a seperate piece of carpet heated, bent, and hend on with button heads into rivinuts.

Out of those options something should look half decent.

Ant