Help In Bedfordshire

Guest rosemarydawn

Guest rosemarydawn

I didn't build my Robin Hood, but I'd now like to know a bit about what's under the bonnet so I can feel more confident driving it. Unfortunately I have a long way to go - but I'm willing to learn! Any help would be very much appreciated.

I live in Dunstable, Bedfordshire and would be interested to know whether there is anyone else near.

Squeaking

I recently had to drive it in the rain, which I was rather upset about. The next time I came to drive it a squeak had started. I think it comes from the off side front wheel and seems to be only when I am going fairly slowly and often seems to stop/ease when I touch the brakes slightly - any ideas?

Overheating

I took it to Stoneleigh kit car show and when I was driving very slowly with loads of people walking in the way in front it got incredibly hot and I had to stop and let it cool for a while.

I have tried to see whether it needs more water. There is a round green container near the top, which is connected to the radiator, among other things, and says 'COLD' about half way up and contains about a quarter full of some brown liquid that smells a bit like some kind of glue. I thought it might be better to just put water in the radiator, but I couldn't get the lid off - it turns a quarter and becomes loose but seems to have some catches that prevent it from being removed. So I failed miserably to put more water in my car!

Thanks very much,

Rosemary

:)

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Rosemary,

The radiator cap - once you've got it turned to the position where it seems loose, then press down on the cap and try turning a bit more.

Do this only when the engine is cold - the cooling system is pressurised when hot and you can get a jet of extremely hot water up your arm :(

It's recommended that you cover the cap with a thick cloth - this will make the cap easier to grip and shield you from any escaping coolant.

Re' the squeak - could be that the brake pads are sticking slightly in the caliper and not clearing the disc completely.

How do you manage to hear a little squeak over the noise from the exhaust.

Have you got a jack for the car - you could try jacking up one front wheel and then turn it by hand to see if you can hear or feel any binding.

Remember to use some additional support to hold the car up - don't just rely on the jack - and don't put any part of yourself into a position where it could be trapped should the car drop.

For contacts in your area have a look at this website SG7's

John Tween is the RHOCaR area secretary for Herts

HTH

Terry

Guest daveg

Rosemary

Re the over heating...do you have an electric fan and if so is it cowled in so the air is forced through the radiator instead of around it. This is a common problem :( try the search above, put in 'radiator' or 'over-heating'

The brown stuff is probably rust :( you should use anti-freeze, follow Terry's advice and wait till the system is cold before touching the radiator.

Welcome to the world of hoodies :D :lol:

Dave

Guest Andybarbet

Hi Rosemary,

As mentioned, if you can make it to the SG7 meet on Sunday June 6th is the next (i think !!) there's plenty of people that would help or give advice !! It's in Baldock which isn't too far from you..........at the George the 4th pub - just off junction 9 on the A1m. Would be great too see another hood !

Cheers..........Andy B :D

Guest rosemarydawn

Thank you all for your useful suggestions! Hopefully I will be able to come to the meeting in Baldock and it would be great to meet any of you that will also be there.

Thanks again and hopefully see you soon,

Rosemary