Circuits

Guest Petemate

Guest Petemate

Now I probably shouldn't be telling this as I'll appear a right plonker :( but here goes, on the basis that someone's misfortunes will be avoidance of them for others. :gdit:

During the recent (and not so recent) stages of my build, I've carried out checks at regular intervals on the wiring. I've used a battery charger, as I didn't want to purchase a battery due to the expected (and actual) long build time. :ph34r: Quite simple to check everything as you go, eh? B)

Each component was checked as I fitted it, e.g. heater, relays etc. The last thing I checked the other day was the wiper operation. All ok. Today's (planned) job was to tape the Mini demist ducts under the (once again) temporarily mounted scuttle and turn on the fan and check the best position of the top vents supplied with the kit. Into one of the green wire connectors in a block went the piece of wire from the battery charger. The heater would not work. :angry: I had robbed a fuse for something else - found that quick. <_< Then I checked the other things, all OK. Something made me turn the Ign key to the On position, and I heard a strange buzzing. I found the battery charger needle trying to bend itself on the max current stop :( . Oh dear, I thought, a short. So out one by one came the fuses, then the relays, including the Ign ones. (this little exercise tought me just how [in]accessible various things are on my car :gdit: ) I then drilled out all the nice stainless rivets of my pedal cover to gain access to the main part of the loom in case anything was trapped. All OK. :angry:

Then I thought I'd connect the charger to the main battery leads and found the Pos lead nestling nicely against the back of the battery compartment. :blink: So with the charger previously connected into the loom, of course when the Ign was switched on - a back feed through the system - dead short. :gdit:

The moral of this story is simple things give us the most trouble. I considered myself fair on electrics (though many of you who contribute to this site make me look a real amateur). Hopefully, while this will surely give some a good larf, :lol: it may help others with similar problems.

Not quite back to the drawing board......

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest chris brown

Easy done Pete but if you had used the battery off that old oil burner of yours you wouldn’t have had the problem. :p :p How is the build doing must be well on the way by the sounds of things

Chris (another oldgit) ;)

Guest Battery Bill

Blinking heck a right geriatric thread this :lol: Best I lower the average age of it :lol: :lol:

Nice one for telling us Pete your a brave man :D

Guest TerryBarry

Thanks for that Pete - I'm probably going to be testing mine out next week :unsure: .

My power pack has a 8 amp auto-trip fitted :) .

This post should boost the average up again - despite the efforts of that young upstart, "Wild Bill Battery" :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Terry

Guest Battery Bill

Isn't it funny, The people you meet on this site but have never actually met them.

You tend to get a mental image of the person.

I had a mental image of Terry Barry but it was totally wrong I had him down as a youthful young chap :lol: I never ever expected that he was so OLD, 1941 thats "20" years before me! and Joey calls me an old fart :lol: :lol:

Sorry Terry :wub:

Guest TerryBarry

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

So what's that that make me:

Ancient fart ??

Antique fart ??

Veteran fart ??

Primeval fart ??

Palaeolithic fart ??

Antediluvian fart ??

No offence taken of course :gdit: :angry: :gdit: :wacko:

Guest chris brown
Dont be cheeky "young man"

That goes for you to young Bill. :gdit: :gdit: I don’t know what you youngsters are coming to these days :p :p :p

Guest Petemate

Hi All

My lad said I shouldn't have admitted it, but I thought why not - it may help someone else out. :p

At least I now know all the other stuff is working, with the exception of the wiper intermittent. :gdit: A couple of weeks ago, I had bits of wire rigged up all over the place to test the wiper system and it worked then. :) Now it's all wired up it doesn't. :( Continuity twixt switch, relay & motor, feeds OK etc. I suspect the relay, and I am not expert enough to know how to check it. :angry: I'll try another sometime, but at least I can now refit my pedal cover, and in a few days when the bonding has gone off on the demister system I can fit the scuttle. Hooray! :D

Cheers,

Pete (Sillyoldgit)

Guest TerryBarry

Re' Bill's comments on my apparent age

I would like to state that I am younger than my Avatar ( born 1940)

Although the character depicted appeared in an episode somewhere between 1952 -54 - But still way before Bill's conception.

Guest john

C'mon you lads, you're as young as you feel :p :p :p

And driving my hood around really makes the years fall off.

( But then I HAVE got mine built, oops sorry Pete,Terry, couldn't resist that bit of sarcasm )

BTW, do SAGA give quotes on insurance for Robinhoods ??

Just off to fix the Stannah Stairlift

Guest Battery Bill

John

C'mon you lads, you're as young as you feel 

Well why are you not able to put your birthdate in your profile ? :rolleyes:

Are you a wrinkly or what? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest TerryBarry
C'mon you lads, you're as young as you feel

Yes John - That's just described the problem - What's the cure ??

Cheers

Terry