Caliper Hand Brake Problems

Guest greavesy7

Guest greavesy7

Over the winter I fitted rear discs to my zero upgrading them from the drums.

I rebuild the calipers replacing all of the seals but after fitting I cannot get the handbrake to work.

The lever moves on the caliper but there is no movement in the pads is there something you have to do to get it to work ?...

Guest chrispine

Hi, did mine last year, changed seals etc, just made sure pistons turn and are free, as you've resealed them they must be ok, bled mine and pumped the pedal to make sure brakes were ok and handbrake worked ok, adjusted as much as possible but not good enough for mot so extended the length of the handbrake lever under the car so it pulls more cable, awaiting this years mot, Chris

Did you completely disassemble the caliper including the handbrake mechanism (those awkward circlips included) ? If so then your alignment of the cam of the handbrake pin could be wrong. If you have to disasemble again make sure that the screw onto which the piston sits moves in and out when you move the handbrake lever.