Efi Glitch

Guest Kieran

Guest Kieran

Hello,

Had the engine running today in my 2B Efi, whilst tidying up the loom.

The engine sat ticking over nicely, but when I wiggled the large bunch of wires that go to the ignition module, (the big multiplug brain thing), the engine coughed and ran on what sounded like two cylinders. Pushed the loom back where it come from, everything smoothed out. Pull on wires, coughed again.

Strange. Any pointers before I head out with my multimeter!

Regards,

Kieran :wacko:

Guest klaxon

I am in the process of reorganising the engine loom on my pinto. Inside the sheath is a soldered joint connecting 4 black wires together. The joint was corroded and one wire was broken. I would never have found it if I had not stripped the sheath off. You never know, try a continuity test to see if all 4 blacks are linked. Best of luck

I wiggled the large bunch of wires that go to the ignition module, (the big multiplug brain thing),

Do you really mean the ignition module, or do you mean the ECU? The ECU is a large silver box with a 60 way connector onto it which screws on so it can't come off, and it was under the passenger side of the dash in the Sierra. The ignition module is a little black plastic box mounted on an aluminium heat sink and went on the inner wing of the Sierra.

the engine coughed and ran on what sounded like two cylinders.

Almost sure to be a dodgy wire or connector, but I guess you knew that! If it ran on two could it be the multiplugs which go to the fuel injectors? There's two of those so if one lost a connection it would sound like the engine was running on 2 cylinders.

Ant

Guest Kieran

Hello again.

After much probing and wiggling ;) , I think I have found the fault in my "EFi Glitch" It turned out to be one of the 5 pin connectors in the engine bay, connecting the ECU to the injectors and the throttle pot. I had problems with these right at the start of my build trying to get my car to start and they have reared their ugly head again! :gdit:

Had enough of this nonsence, so going to hard wire them today.

Thanks for all the replys,

Regards,

Kieran :wacko:

It turned out to be one of the 5 pin connectors in the engine bay, connecting the ECU to the injectors and the throttle pot.

The "two cylinder" theory came good then :D Excellent.