Your Turn....

Guest greasemonkey

Guest greasemonkey

hello all,

been reading a LOT recently as i am considering the plunge into Kitcar ownership. and as you may of guessed, there is a lot to consider.

However, there are are a few things you, as an obviously loyal following of RH, can help me to answer.

On the whole, there seems to be a a great deal of negative press in regard to the 2B project and Robin Hood as a whole. Specifically in regards to builder support, parts missing, shoddy workmanship, parts not welded correctly/ fitting etc etc.

I have never been one to jump to conclusions so it is only fair that i ask you to be brutally honest and give me "your version of events" I have no intention of offending anybody/cars, and if i have, i am sorry! All i want is an honest (unbiased) opinion about the product that you guys love.

So, over to you... :D

GM

Guest Feek

Well, I'm enjoying my build, which is the main thing for me. The other members are very supportive and helpful. :)

You have to do a fair bit of fabricating yourself, but then, RHSC never pretend otherwise. You won't put the car together in a weekend, but when you finish, you can guarantee there won't be another like it - promise! :D

I had a good chat with Richard when I picked up my kit, and he was quite candid and pleasant, quite straightforward, but nice enough. The one time I spotted a problem with my kit, I had a brand new steering rack sent to me the next day, for free.

As regards the negative press, probably due as much to the sheer number of hoods out there, and the better fun-per-pound rating compared to other kits... ;) :lol:

Just look in the "watchdog" type pages of the tin-top mags, and you'll see that production cars are not immune to Friday-afternoonism either of course! :lol:

Come along to one of the shows and just ask people about their cars - you'll get pretty straight info...

HTH, Cheers,

F.

Guest Bob's Babe

Hubby is now building kit number 2..both hoods! If you treat Richard with respect you get the same back every time, if you rant about bits being missing or not right and aren't polite then neither is he. ;) Sounds fair to me.

The boys always seem happy with what they get, they never turn out the same but hey all go fairly well and they can all fix a problem eventually....everyone does something different. Tim has sawn out a cross-bar from the middle of the frame this week so that he can get a Rover V8 to fit in.... a bit technical for me but apparently he can talk someone into rewelding the bar back somewhere else later :o :o :wacko:

Not sure what you get with other kits/clubs but there is a lot of help and support out there....it's all about give and take B)

SUE :wub:

Guest MikeD318

It's not a perfect kit but you wouldn't want it any other way. Good fun to build and because it doesn't just fit together you get to take a good look and see if you can work out a better way to do things. I've not had any need to use the customer support yet but the RHOCaR support is second to none both on this forum and through local meets. :D You always tend to hear more negative comments than positive about most things. Take a look for yourself and make up your own mind.

Hope this helps,

Mike.

Guest greasemonkey

Hi,

Thank you for prompt reply!!

Kinda worried that there seems to be a full time newbie watch...

ha ha only joking :D

this is the kind of feedback that i wanted. short concise and to the point. The choice of a robin hood was never off the short list. i just wanted to get the feedback from some of the people on the greasy end of things... i look forward to reading some more..........

Thanks again

Greasemonkey

hi having read what the others have put on here ican only add that so long as you are not as eager as iwas to get mine home and start (17 months and counting ) you get a very good parts list when you collected your kit that if followed you shouldnt be missing anything when you leave un like me who sat there 2 hours going through everything and thinking id got everthing got home and decided to start the next day but where do i start yes id not picked up the very usefull build videos :boohoo: :boohoo:

post-12-1086219742.jpg

You know when you buy an Airfix kit and they give a skill rating on the side, well :-

- Westfield = 1, it's easy to just bolt the bits together.

- Robin Hood = 2, fit the parts together using your own fabrication technieques and inprovise where you see fit.

- Locost = 3, good instructions but build to whole lot yourself to the plan.

- Scratch = 4, no plan or idea of the finished product and nothing to copy.

I didn't want a simple 'fit it together' car as I wanted to actually make it (and I didn't have £12K) The Robin Hood is excellent because it's good 'fun per pound' and the backup from the owners club means that you will never encounter a problem that somone can't help you with.

Guest Andy Rathbone
id not picked up the very usefull build videos 

you plonker, did you get it sorted? i guess you did. :rolleyes:

17 months and counting

pah youve only just started.

but no seriously a Hood will take you longer than a Westie but it wont cost you and arm and a leg and you will learn things as you do them through trial and error (thankfully not all your own) some people build them quick some build them slow mine will take as long as it takes( 4 years 2 weeks and counting) and i'm getting close now.

There wont be another like yours they are all individual like the people who build them. at the end of the day its your money. i certainly dont regret getting one.

Guest chris brown

As the others have said for the price there isn’t another kit to match a Hood but you must be willing to do a lot of thinking and take your time it is NOT a bolt together job hence I have never seen 2 the same and that to me is part of the enjoyment of the car that and the club which is fantastic. What other 7 type car can you get on the road for £3K but most seem to spend about £5K. Another plus point is if you had spent £10K plus the chances are you would be reluctant to modify it after a couple of years where as with the Hood upgrades are common

Guest daveg

Greasemonkey

This question has been asked before...try a search...

Robin Hood provide very good value for money. But its not a bolt together kit. The principle is 1 donor + 1 kit = finished car

The average time to build is 2 years. I haven't heard much negative comments and if you visit a show and see how many kits have been built you will realise the ratio of bad comments to kits built is good :D

Dave

PS...if you do build one...the battery goes in the front :p :lol: :D

Guest mars0505

:D :D :D

Yoh Greasemonkey,

member number 1000+..... We are increasing like rabbits. I am member from october end number 787 so we are growing like hell.

Way to go. Hope you will be on the road next summer.

good luck

Marcel.

andy i know it takes time but ive nearly built it once as per vid now making refinements have just worked out a way to fit front brakepipes without having to buy another set of new ones untill i joined this club i thought the vids were the way to go if get them in tommorrow ill try and post pics