Which Test Centre?

Guest STEVE PUTTRELL

Guest STEVE PUTTRELL

Finally nearing end of build now :D & about to book SVA test. As I live in Hitchin can anyone advise me on which is the best test centre to use. Leighton Buzzard is the nearest but I've heard they don't like Robin Hoods!

Cheers,

Steve

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris brown

I agree wit Graham Norwich are very fare and gave me time on the day to sort out minor fail points while he went for a coffee ( hour and a half ) then gave me my MAC :p :p :p

Guest paul boatman

I used Enfielld a few years back and they were very helpful - the tester even fixed wiring himself !! - mine should have failed on a few items eg. steering not staightening and the wheel with no padding etc.

Steve

I can recommend Gillingham,kent...may be a touch out of the way

for you,but they do the SVA tests for Caterham cars and are obviously

used to "7" type cars,my car was tested in April and the tester Gary is

building a Locost and is very symphathetic to our cause!!!!

Cheers Ian

Guest STEVE PUTTRELL

Thanks for your advice guys. Paul do you mean Edmonton as Enfield isn't on the SVA form list? Looks a good choice & it's fairly close.

Guest paul thompson

I am about to book mine at Birmingham, anyone been there? Other choice would be Nottingham as it is a bit further and have the chance to do a few more miles :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest STEVE PUTTRELL

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm booked in at Gillingham, as Ian suggested, on 9th July, others didn't have any dates until well into August.

Took it for MOT last week and it passed first time with no problems. :p The ticket has "Registration not displayed" at the top as it was tested against the chassis number. Does anyone know if this is ok for taxing it after the SVA or do I need to get it MOT'd again when it is registered?

Interesting first drive to MOT, went through thunderstorm and a torrential down pour, anyone know how to stop the rain coming under the front of the hood and running down the dash :angry:

Cheers,

Steve

Steve

An MOT certificate is no longer required all you need for registering and taxing is:

MAC

Completed V55/5

Completed V627/1

Insurance cover note (you don't normally get a policy with out a reg' number)

V5 from the donor vehicle (should be under SORN)

Receipts for major items

V842 - Completed by the garage who did the MOT

£38 and their satisfactory inspection

However, I also got my 2B MOTed prior to the test, it gave me chance to get the hand brake working on two wheels. When I got it SVAed at Gillingam the tester did state that it was a good idea and took a copy of the MOT cert'.

Yes I fully agree with Ian the guys their are helpfull and let you rectify faults and even tell you what needs doing and how it should be done so they can actually pass it. Yes, it did pass first time. -_-

Good luck ;)

Robbie

Guest Battery Bill

Robbie

An MOT certificate is no longer required all you need for registering and taxing is:
V842 - Completed by the garage who did the MOT

Confused :rolleyes: :blink: :blink:

Beverley SVA center also like you to get an MOT first so thats what we will do, Anything to keep them happy. :D

PS

Yes, it did pass first time.

Well done :D

Bill

When I first got the thing running in October last year it was debatable if a MOT was required or not - so 'just in case' a MOT was obtained. (The hand brake only worked on one side but the garage still let me have the certificate as there was considered still sufficient braking when the weight of the car was used in the equation) ^_^

I went for the SVA in April this year and was told that the MOT was not required for the first three years - AKA a new tin top. As I had the cert' with me the SVA tester took a copy of it.

Personnal, I would still go for a MOT as it gives you some confidence that an independant "qualified" person has checked the car over.

Hope this clarifies the points made :wacko:

Robbie

Guest STEVE PUTTRELL

Well I set off for the Gillingham test centre last Friday & it ran beautifullt for 80 miles until I got to 5 miles short of the centre, then it just died :boohoo: Pushed it to a little chef car park on the A2 & discovered a siezed EFI fuel pump. :angry: Had to cancel the test & come home on the back of an RAC lorry. Think it was a small piece of araldite from the filler neck tubing that was dislodged by the filler nozzle when I filled up & found it's way into the pump. Fitted another pump from the breakers with a home made in line filter this time. Anyone know where I can get a filter with 15mm inlet tubes??

Test re-booked for Monday 19th, fingers crossed this time.

Steve

I passed SVA at Gillingham on April 14th,I definately had to get car mot'd

after SVA for registration at Brighton,the mot was done on the chassis number

and was stamped up by DVLA with the reg number on 16th April!!!!

Cheers Ian

Guest Friar Tuck

Steve

Good luck for Monday.

If I can sort my engine out, will be going to mine next Thursday.

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

The Friar