2b 2ltrefi Fuel Pump

Derek

I have a 2ltr EFI with the RHSC large tank, fuel pick up and sender unit, in a nearly completed 2B . The engine has been running with no problem. :gdit: BUT I replaced what I thought was a seized pump. All was well for some time then the new pump stopped with the same problem. :boohoo: Yesterday I raided the local scrappie and returned with a pump from a Vauxhall Caviller injection and the words "vis'll fixit mate" ringing in my ears. But vis didna! and after 5mins running this pump stopped. I am trying to keep the injection equipment rather than go to carbs right now. This must have been sorted by someone somewhere or am I doomed to having to carry a bootful of pumps for every journey?

Thanks Del

Derek,

first off have you tried one of the fuel pumps just connected to a battery - off the car of course, without fuel for a few seconds.

If it runs connected like this then your problem will be either in the wiring, maybe a bad earth or with the box of tricks that runs the efi.

If it doesn't run just on the battery then you may have been unlucky and had two bad pumps.

hope this helps

Steve

Guest Feek

Do you have a pre-filter before the pump? I think that the EFi pumps are very sensitive to crap in the tank, and this can cause them to fail... (Apologies if you know this and/or the RH tank has a built in filter - I dinna ken it y'see).

Cheers,

F.

Guest chris brown

As Feek says the EFI pump does need a pre filter as the smallest piece of swarf will stop it I stepped the 15mm pipe down to 8mm then fitted a normal inline filter then stepped pipe back up to 15mm been running for 6000+ miles with no problem

Guest Feek

Hi Chris (sorry to go a bitoff topic) - I wasn't sure whether stepping down to 8mm would cause fuel starvation problems - but it sounds like it wouldn't.

Just after I've made myself a big fat pre-filter as well! :lol:

I used two 15-22 mm copper reducers (to give 15mm tails), with 22 mm pipe and compression fitting in between. The fat 22mm bit in the middle contains a dense wire-wesh filter element, and there is absolutely no resistance to flow when I tested it. That said, not used in anger, but that day is approaching...

I'll post when I know whether it works or not!! :wacko: And now I know what I can do if it doesn't... :lol:

Cheers,

F.

BTW: The compression fitting lets you clean/replace the filter element...

Guest neil gale

I have a step down to 8mm for my in line fuel filter, but i have had no fuel starvation problems.

The problem i did have is the pump was mounted too high above the tank. If your pump is above the height of the tank then you may encounter the same problems.

These injection pumps are designed to be gravity fed, not to have to suck the fuel up from the tank, and this will cause them to fail as they start to suck up air with the fuel.

Making sure the pump is as low as possible and also that the hose routing from the tank to the pump is as short as possible and as low as possible will help to eliminate this.

Hope this helps, Neil.

Guest Feek

Good! - pump is about 6 inches below the tank... :)

Thanks for help + info since I hijacked the thread for a bit ;)

Del - how are you doing with your pump problems? (feeling guilty :lol: )

F.

Thanks for your replies, this is the first time I have used the site but I will be back!

Can I clarify that the feed from the tank needs to be 15mm, the RHSC supplied pick up (and guage tank unit) is only 4mm. Is necessary to put a 15mm feed in the bottom of the tank?

The pump is mounted below the level of the tank so I thought once the fuel had been pulled into the pump the feed would be by gravity?

the ford pump is gravity fed and needs to be as low as possible, ie below the bottom of the tank but a vauxhall injection pump will suck/lift the fuel up to 15 inches/400mm or so.

any more than that and you will sieze the pump cos the fuel cools and lubes the pump as it passes through it

Guest timswait

4mm is nothing like enough for an EFi to draw fuel through, this is almost certainly your problem, it will cause starvation problems and may cause the pump to burn out, they can push fuel at very high pressure, but they can't suck very hard at all. Yes, if the pump is below the bottom of the tank it should be OK, even if the pipe comes out the top of the tank, as long as the pump can prime itself then the siphon effect ought to do the rest. I've run mine for 3000 miles without a pre-filter, although I do have a wire mesh strainer in the tank. Before I put that in I did get the pump jammed with some crap in it, but taking it off the car, giving it a swift tap with a hammer and testing it outside the car without petrol in it seemed to free it up and it's worked fine ever since.

just want to say the vauxhall injection micro filter between the pump and the injectors is about a third of the size of the coffee tin sized rascal from the sierra.

it has 8mm tails in and out and makes fitting a bit easier when things are getting a bit tight in the engine bay

Once again thanks for the replies.

I have now an inline filter between the tank and Vauxhall pump with 1/4in tube. The engine runs a treat but not under load yet. :D

The pump is so strong that the return is flowing nearly as fast as the pressure side, is this correct? :wacko: Perhaps someone who has fitted this pump can let me know.

Perhaps meet you at Newark.

Thanks again Del.

Guest Battery Bill

This was quite a time consumer for us, trying to obtain some sort of suitable filter to fit before the fuel pump, we were advised by a race car engineer "Not" to fit the paper type filters as they would restrict the flow and that all is needed is a guaze mesh type, We made our own using the bits out of our Spare Granada Injection and a Big metal Funnel with a filter element in the bottom.

Look Here to see the full story.

Bill and Joey :D