Source Of Polycarbonate & Vinyl

Guest Mike G

Guest Mike G

Hiya guys

I was originally going down the path towards getting a hood and sidescreens made to measure, before ending up buying a newish tintop and an italian holiday! So cash is a bit short. Thought I might try making Dave Osborne's emergency hood, and sidescreens (not sure about pattern for the screens).

Anybody got ideas on a good supplier of hood material? Is there a preferred grade? Approx costs would be helpful.

What about a polycarbonate? From my enquiries, some firms seem to need a minimum order of £100! I am not sure of the thickness/gauge, and presumably I need to specify that it must be virtually unbreakable. Obviously, it should be easy to cut and form to a pattern. I expect to use some of the hood material to finish the job.

Anyone tried fitting polycarbonate across the car under the rollover bar? I was thinking to mimic some of the expensive Porsche/BMW sportscars, and cut down the wind whistling past my ears. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers

Mike G :)

Hi Mike for polycarbonate you could try British Mica in Bedford, they used to be ok. Polycarbonate is unbreakable, almost, btw. If you just want to try something out try Acrylic sheet it is very cheap in comparison and DIY shops often sell it for glazing, it does break quite easily though.

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Griff

Hi Mike

Not up to date with the exact design of your project, is it a ridgid polycarbonate you require? If so I have local company that use it all the time and will cut to any shape from template supplied. Two wind deflectors cost me £25 including drilling the holes.

I got a 1m x 1m x 5mm sheet of polcarbonate for £20 cash. Enough to make two sidescreens, wind deflectors (elephants ears) and still some. I got the usual £100+ from the sales dept. at my local stockist, so as "shy kids get nowt" I walked into the warehouse and asked for the boss, he sold me what I was looking for as he had a rack full of offcuts! Try it.

Guest chris brown
O.K. What if I talk to my polycarbonate man, find how many offcuts he has and advertise it in the "For Sale" section of this site

sounds like a good idea I bet it would soon go