Wiring A Fual Pump For A Xe

Guest Troy Halliday

Guest Troy Halliday

I'm running in the wiring for the XE engine (on carbs). I have a custom loom which does not have a facility for an electric fual pump. So my question is how do I wire in a pump. I need to know the lot so that I can graft them into the loom.

Thanks

Troy

Guest paul mercer

Ideally there should be a wire fromt he module if running injection that goes to the pump and from there to earth.

But:

All you need is one wire from a 12v live feed to the pump and then from the pump to earth.

It is important that the 12v live feed is only there when the engine is either cranking or running. You will also need to use a relay in the normal way.

You should also put a fuel cut off switch in line somewhere, that is bolted onto the chassis and will break the electrical connection in the event of an impact.This is a very simple swithch that all injection cars have. it will have a button on it to reset the switch if the switch is activated but the damage isn't too bad that the car can't be driven.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Guest rhetorical-oracle
I wired mine through a hidden switch so it also acts as an immobiliser.

As a quick aside :

My brother used a 1/4" mono headphone plug & socket to create an immobiliser for his old mini. He just wired the socket in-line with the ignition, and soldered the two contacts together on the plug. Thus when the plug was inserted into the socket the ciruit was completed. I thought this was quite a neat idea for a cheap immobiliser. If I recall correctly he also used a second socket with a ring through it on his keyring, so he had somewhere to put the plug when not in use in the car.