Rh Fuel Tank Fitting

Guest Alan Harrison

Guest Alan Harrison

Any tips on securing the large RH fuel tank before I start. I want this to be the first task that I don't have to dismantle 5 times before I get it right. Photos would be great.

Guest graham dockerill

Put it in but don't fix it untill you have fitted the rear wings as you will probably drill through it. Its quite a tight fit.

Guest John Church

Alan

(As you look from the back of the car to the front) there's a hole in the left hand side on the flange of the tank which you can attach an L shaped bracket to and secure that to the return section of the rear panel with a couple of 6mm bolts.

Also, although you're told not to, I dilled a hole in the rather over large flange on the right hand side and secured that to the chassis bar underneath.

And by the time you put a wooden panel in the rear panel and fit the tank up against that and then fit the rear seat panel......there's nowhere left for it to go to.

And finally, as I've just fitted some panels over the tank to make a boot, it's rock solid.

Regards

Guest Alan Harrison

Hmmm. Thats good advise.

Just the sort of thing I'm good at.

I don't think I have fixed anything on my 2b permanantly yet after 18 months.

My latest gaff was bolting my carb on nice and tight. Jack, my next door nieghbour came round and pointed out that it was going to be tricky connecting the pipes with it that way round. I told him to shut up and get back to his GCSE revision pronto.

Pah! kids

What do they know?

Guest Twoscoops
And by the time you put a wooden panel in the rear panel and fit the tank up against that and then fit the rear seat panel......there's nowhere left for it to go to.

Have I missed something on the videos...???? What wooden panel in the rear panel...??? :o

Hi Mate

I made a frame out of l shaped mild steel that secured to the bottom chassis rails and a simmilar frame for the top with two metal bars running down the front to connect the two frames and two L shaped brackets on the back to secure it to the wood pannel.

The SVA man was quite happy with that and it hasn't moved yet.

It saves taking the risk of drilling the flanges

cheers

Chris

Guest Twoscoops

Can anyone answer my question about the wooden panel?

Where does it go, how is it fixed and what is it there for?

I recall seeing anything mentioned on the video's....!!! :blink:

Guest SteveL
Have I missed something on the videos...???? What wooden panel in the rear panel...??? :o

Most people who put the spare wheel on the rear panel strengthen the rear panel with a large piece of wood to support the weight of the spare wheel. I did this, and bolted two long pieces of threaded rod through the wood to keep the spare wheel safe.

You're not going mad, it's not in the build videos!

Steve

Guest Twoscoops

Sorry to be a pain....but does the wooden panel fit between the rear panel and the chassis, attaching to the two vertical bars..???

How have you attahced the wooden panel?

Ok no problem!!! :D

From what i know (being robbies son) is that i made up 4 angle brakets out of stainless that (rivited) attached to the chassie tubes on top and bottem (as you can just see on second image) and screwed in to wooden pannel.

Hope these pictures help

And if my dad changed anything he'll post later.

:) Pannel just in place <_<

post-6-1087479881.gif