Sump

Guest Wallace

Guest Wallace

I am not happy with the clearnce on my 2b, i know many people have fitted shorter sumps, where can i get one from? is it possible to shorten the existing one? Thanks

Guest TerryBarry

Hi,

Go to the RHOCar website (top of this page)

Go into Build Tipz

Look at # 21 ( by Jim Stott) - very clearly describes how to do it.

Other possibilities are find an alloy sump off an RS 2000 hopefully with pick up pipe ( not quite as short as the modified steel one but it is shorter than standard ( there are different sump depths out there as original equipment).

There is somebody out there doing steel ones for about £60 exchange. I think they advertise on Kit-Bitz (if that's how it's spelt).

Other possibilities are Tiger and Vulcan - but these are nearer the £100 mark.

HTH

Terry.

Guest 2BBoulton

Wallace

There is a reply to this question on this board in the mechanics section, under the heading 'sump' (strange that) where the details of the mod can be found.

If you do go down the RS 2000 route remember that the metal is softer and will take less of a bash before leaking.

Bruce

Guest timswait

I followed the instructions in the build tipz section to shorten my sump. It wasn't a desperately hard job, took about an afternoon, the hard thing was getting the weld entirely sealed (needed to fill with water and check about 10 times), and the pick up pipe was a little fiddly to shorten too. It still clouts the ground occasionally, but more gently than it otherwise would, and I've done 4000 miles and no leaks yet. Also on the subject of the underside of the 2B the SVA man pointed out that hit a kerb squarely on the tube that protects the sump and it could bend the chassis badly, to solve that I've welded a bit of angle from under the radiator to the sump guard. I might get round to writing it up to put on build tipz.

Guest Andy Hamilton

I took the easy but expensive option of an RS2000 item with pick-up. It was £100 delivered from speedshack in West Drayton. Believe me, if I had had the kit to cut and shut the original, I would have done it. The only real benifit I can see of the RS2000 unit, is the additional stiffness it adds to the bottom end, as it bolts up to the bell housing aswell, and maybe the better sealing that it provides, again from being stiffer. It looks quite nice though.

Andy