Another Fail

Guest plt63

Guest plt63

All,

Took SVA yesterday (Thurs) at Leighton Buzzard, and failed, so no trip to Newark for me then!

Following points, nothing major, test already rebooked for 29th:

1 - Instrument panel lower edge radius less than 19mm, permanently fixed (edge trim not secure enough)

2 - Front indicators more than 400mm for the outer edge. (by 10mm)

3 - Contactable edges with edges less than 2.5 mm:-

Guest plt63

All,

Took SVA yesterday (Thurs) at Leighton Buzzard, and failed, so no trip to Newark for me then!

Following points, nothing major, test already rebooked for 29th:

1 - Instrument panel lower edge radius less than 19mm, permanently fixed (edge trim not secure enough)

2 - Front indicators more than 400mm for the outer edge. (by 10mm)

3 - Contactable edges with edges less than 2.5 mm:

a - Cable ties on front suspension (face them back not down)

b - Front side repeaters (on body) (rectangular ones the leading edge is too sharp)

c - lower edges of rear wings (wher at rear the stanless meets glassfibre panel had moved out a tad!)

d - Fuel cap (aero style) (rubber gasket not far enough around front face leaving metal corner)

e - Rear body panel edge (area not folded back between rear wing and c/l)

f - Luggage carrier edges (where rack tubes meet side, support panel can be touched from the top)

g - washer jets (use plastic ones)

h - Boot locks (almost flush turnkey ones, need covers)

i - Upper seatbelt mounts (use production car seatbelt mounting bolt cover)

The two guys I dealt with there , were very helpful and understanding. They took the time to explain why, and gave details of how to fix the fail items to make it pass next time (in brackets above).

It took four hours to complete the test, so I got my moneys worth. Dont forget to ask them about suggested improvements, they see many more vehicles than we ever do!

They also explained the situation with retests which give a lot of kit builders grief. Basically, if they highlight problems that other testers have not uncovered, or are interpreted differently (I know a subject in its own right), they must fail the vehicle.

If they themselves retest the vehicle, then this problem is removed. I would suggest to others to try and re-book when the same tester is on duty.

I would give this centre positive feedback, and treat testers as human beings, you will get a lot more out of the experience. They are normal guys with a thankless task to do, if you pass then great 'should think so', if you fail they are the 'scum of the earth'.

They also explained the situation with retests which give a lot of kit builders grief. Basically, if they highlight problems that other testers have not uncovered, or are interpreted differently (I know a subject in its own right), they must fail the vehicle.

At my retest, they did'nt "retest" the car ,they simply went through the failure

sheet.....in the car park,ticking off,after checking the original failure points.

And this was carried out by a different examiner,as my original tester was on holiday.

Again another example of lack of consistancy!!!!!!

Cheers Ian

Guest peter2b2002

Hi, at my retest i had 2 inspectors as another car didn't turn up,Steve the chief tester only checked out what was on the original fail sheet that dave did 1st time round, i had to give them some pointers as to what dave had ment !!! L/B gave me a fair test and were very helpful even as far as when my sva proof stearing wheel cover which i had glued on became unstuck due to the heat, it was over 80c , they let me hold it in place with tie wraps!!! and even pionted out some of the things that had passed 1st time but they would fail if it had been them????

cheers pete2b