Super Spec Wiring

Guest Friar Tuck

Guest Friar Tuck

Don't know if anyone can help me, but as soon as I connect the battery, all the relays are energised. :huh:

Fuses are installed as per the wiring diagram, and connected direct to the battery live terminal on the solenoid.

Relays all connected up , with direct feed from the battery terminal as per diagram.

Large brown spade is connected to the large spade male connector on the solenoid.

When ignition turned to position 2, the oil warrning light comes on, but not the ignition warning light on the panel.

Engine will turn over when turning the key as but not start, haven't checked coil connections yet, but something is wrong, and it is probably simple.

Any ideas anyone?? :wacko: :wacko: :blink:

The Friar

Guest hypermick

Hi Tuck,

This may be of help, but it sounds to me like your common positive feed is sitting on the engergising coils side of the relays instead of the input side of each of the contacts. Sorry, but I dont know what loom youre using ? Was it RH supplied or is it modified from the standard Sierra one ?

I have to confess, at this time I'm right in amongst the wiring on my own kit, and I found it easier to "dummy" the whole loom up on the driveway, run an earth loop around to substitute the chassis before putting any of it near the car, then connecting all the lights, steering column switches etc,. up to see that everything is getting the proper feeds. Appreciate it takes time to do this but (for the benefit of others reading this too) it really is so much easier to iron problems out. :wacko:

Guest Friar Tuck

Thanks for that, I assume you mean that positions 85 and 86 are connected the wrong way round? Or am I missing something else.

This is the RH supplied loom,. with the sub looms made up as per the diagram.

I will have a look tomorrow morning.

Cheers

The Friar

Guest Dredd

Friar

I found the relay supplied for the air horns was duff and replaced it. The relay I put on the rad fan is energised immediately from the battery, which is fine as the relay is used to dampen the effect off powering up the circuit. The other relays , i.e the ECU, Fuel Pump and Lambda are wired as per the revised diagram and work fine.

Guest Dredd

Also, I found insufficient black wires in the loom so I doubled up from the other black (earth) wires. The dash lights require an earth to make them work, you may find this to be the problem, other wise make sure you have the right amount of wires to the coil, the new wiring diagram shows 4 wires, 2 to each post.

Guest bugsy

Hi Friar,

I have had a look at mine as i had a similar problem with the coil but not sure what i did to sort it as i wired up the car as per the Original diagram which is quite different to the new one so things have been choped and changed quite a bit.

The ECU controls the relays as far as i know, i would start by double checking the ECU wireiing, you have probably done this already!

Is the Engine earthed to the chassis this is not on the diagram but is fairly major as i had a FLOATING EARTH which sent a few things doolaly :blink:

Sorry i cant be any more help.

Bugsy

Guest Friar Tuck

Hi all

Would you believe it, finally found my main problem.

I had managed to make the chassis live, by incorrectly wiring the fog lamp switch with Live and Earth to either side of the warning light !!! :wacko:

Now the relays only energise when called to, but still no spark. Any Ideas please?

Like Dredd, the relay on the horns is useless, such a flimsy contact, if you move or touch it, the horn comes on!! Wouldn't like to go down a bumpy road with that one on the car. Probably the best way to mount it would be upside down! :blink:

I really think I have to postpone the test, spoke to the Test Centre today, and they have 2 slots available for 12th. I will decide tonight, and ring them first thing in the morning.

Any help or pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks

The Friar

Guest Friar Tuck

Almost a result !!

After spending two days thoroughly checking wiring against circuit diagrams, and doing my own diagram for the ignition and relay circuits, I discovered that there was one wire missing :blink: . Put that in, no change. Checked a couple of other things, and came to the conclusion that it was either the coil or the ECU.

Quick trip to halfords, new coil, and hey presto, we now have sparks and petrol, but it still won't start.

From the stink of petrol I think it's flooded. Need to go and get a plug spanner to fit, and leave over night to dry out, and also recharge the battery, it is quite tired now !!

Will let you know how I get on

The Friar

Guest Friar Tuck

I am still not running, spent the last three days working on it, had the plenum chamber and injector rail off today, discovered that No 1 injector not working, but have narrowed it down to an electrical issue with the ECU.

I mentioned in my last note, that I have a spark, but it really did seem to be quite weak, and at approx 3.30 this afternoon, I took off the distributor cap and

discovered that there was no central bush in the cap, the cause of an

indifferent spark at the plugs. Richard has put a brush in the post to me

today.

At least this should enable me to geet it running, and then we can look at the ECU/ Injector problem.

As I read the other day, "nobody said it would be easy".

Will let you know how I get on

The Friar

Guest bugsy

I will say it again "nobody said it would be easy". :lol: -_-

you do seem to be haveing quite a few issues with faulty and missing bits Friar, the horn relay seems to be a popular one as mine was kerput also.

Bugsy

Guest Friar Tuck

Distributor centre contact arrived at 11.00 a.m., first class post.

Fitted and tried to start it, but some D***head :wacko: :gdit: had forgotten to charge the battery overnight after all the trials and tests yesterday, so turning over was very sluggish!

Battery on charge for 3 hrs and it was running by 2.30 p.m., albeit only on three cylinders! :D

Spoke to Richard and am going up tomorrow morning to get a replacement ECU, full width handbrake adjuster support as mentioned in Bugsy's SVA report, and take back the crap relay that is supplied with Fiamm horns.

I have mentioned to him that Dredd and Bugsy have also had to replace these, and he has promised to take it up with the supplier.

I will be doing a list of things tonight to check and discuss with him, does anyone know what the correct tyre pressures are for the Super Spec ?

If so, please share with me!!

If not, I will ask Richard tomorrow!

All the best.

Will keep you updated.

The Friar

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Friar Tuck

Update: !!

Fetched a replacement ECU from RHE last week, along with the wider handbrake cable support, new handbrake cable and a replacement horn relay.

Got back at about 3.30 p.m. and fitted the replacement ECU, and was surprised when absolutely nothing happened, no spark, no smell of petrol or anything.

Spoke to Richard, he had sent my original back to the supplier for test/repair/report. Had to wait until we got a response on Monday.

Over the weekend, I went through everything with a fine tooth comb, checking and double and triple checking all my wiring, including checking my own circuit diagram (copies available if you want one)against the Issue 5 wiring diagram. Couldn't find any problems!

Decided to ask a neighbour, who has a lot of experience with auto electrics, and fixes laptops (hardware) for a living to come and check my diagram, and the wiring on the car.

Three and a half hours later, the verdict was that everything was OK!

Got a call on Monday from Richard to advise that original ECU was faulty, and replacement was being sent. This arrived at RHE on Tuesday, and was sent on ANC next day delivery. We made sure that someone was in all day on Wednesday, and true to form it eventually turned up on Thursday afternoon! Fortunately my wife was in at the time.

Got it fitted, and this morning lo and behold the beast started. A bit lumpy, but at last it is running. I can now finalise the tidy up of the engine wiring, fit body panels back, and get ready for SVA on Thursday 15th.

A word of caution to everyone with a Super Spec, Richard tells me that his supplier has told him that any errors, short circuits or ommissions in the wiring circuit, (or any additional devices fitted not covered by the wiring diagram) can cause a problem with the ECU. Just make sure that you check everything before you try to start up.

With a faulty coil, no central brush in the distributor, and one wiring error on my part, I don't suppose I really had a chance.

If anyone is not sure what or how to check the wiring, please feel free to ask, I will help if I can.

All the best, and wish me luck for next Thursday

The Friar