Engine Tuning - Rolling Road Or Mobile

Guest Angel Boy

Guest Angel Boy

Pretty much as the title says really. My car is running like a bag of bolts after dropping a 2lt in on a fr32 and 38dgas with the rhe s/s exhaust system. I have limited experience and don't have the tools (ie stobe light etc) so I am after any recommendations to a rolling road/mobile tunning in the Hull area.

If I try really hard and have the patience of a saint I recon I can get the timing good enough so it will limp to the centre.

Current symtoms are idles at 1500-2000rpm, when you put your foot down to rev it coughs (loudly with a plume of fuel/air spurting out of the carb (the wrong way)) which will either cause it to stall or cough again and eventually pick up. When it gets warm it struggles to idle, I have to keep blipping the throttle which causes the other problem. :angry: :rolleyes:

If anyone has any suggestions on either I would be v happy :D

Thanks and a virtual beer.

Andy

I had a similar problem, but not quite as severe. I recently changed the head, fitted a Kent FR30 and a 38 DGAS and found that by setting it up 'by ear' I could get it running half decent. But like you, once the choke came out it would not idle as smoothly as I wanted and dabbing the throttle would cause the revs to dip and cough before taking off. I got a mobile tuner round to have a looksy and he discovered that all was fine and dandy with my setting up except the dizzy timing was out by around 14 degrees and the mixture was slightly rich. A little tweak here and there and it was running sweet as a nut.

I need to think about getting a strobe light. I got the guy to get his cheap backup strobe light out and show me how to use it. Good bit of kit really.

I also discovered that the dizzy that I salvaged from the scrappy turned out to be from a 1.6 Sierra :angry: , however all was not as bad as it seemed. It turns out that a 1.6 dizzy does not have as big a centrifugal advance as the 2.0 version, but it has a far greater vacuum advance range. According to the tuner, the overall maximum advance is about the same, but because the vacuum advance is greater on the 1.6 dizzy it will give better performance during acceleration. That is just what I was after anyway! So all was not lost. B)

Daz

Guest jwaterman

Andy

I have a strobe light you can borrow!! also you haven't got a plug lead on the wrong way around have you? Are your idle jets correct?. Also what did you do to the carb before you fitted it to the car?? Did you dismantle and blow all the airways and jets clear of any *bleep*!!!? Also have you bought a carb overhaul kit (eg, gaskets, seals, diaphgrams etc) I needed to do this to mine? If the carb jets are the same as the 32/36 Dgas? I have some spare jets big and small that may help. Lastly i have a cam pertractor disc with instructions on who to set up timing etc from my vernier cam pully. Also have the Dial indicator gauge to set cam exactly.

You are more than welcome to borrow any of the above items to get yourself sorted. Then if you think its needed afterwards you can take it to a rolling road.

I can bring any of these items to Gt Yarmouth this week for you. If you need the carb blown out i have access to a compressed air line for that job, so bring that with you.

All best

John.