Sabelt Seat Harnesses

Jon Bradbury

Hi

I tried to fit the RHE supplied Sabelt seat harnesses in my DOHC with the Recaro ("let's see how heavy we can make these seats") seats and it looks like the shoulder straps are too short. I asked RHE about this and they said no one had mentioned it before. The belts have a white label on them marked "S"... I wonder. I can fit them of course, but it is not possible to get the lapbelt sitting over my hips - they'd have to be halfway up my waist to clip together. This is not the right way to waer these things.

Has anyone got any advice to offer?

Guest Petemate

Hi Jon

My shoulder straps are too long!! If you are going to Stoneleigh, come and see me on the RHOCaR Oxon area and if you bring yours, we will compare and may be able to do a swap. My belts are securon, and of course brand new.

HTH

Pete(Oldgit)

Mob 07780 970 657 :rolleyes:

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Jon,

Having read your message I've just checked mine. A 2B from June '02

They seem to fit OK - I've got the Recaro seat back fairly well. I'm 5ft 11 - and weigh approx 13 1/2 stone.

There is not an excessive amount of belt out of the top adjuster. I can move the seat forward about 3 inches before I would run out of adjustment on the shoulder straps. There is of course loads of spare belt in the lap section.

The maximum length of the shoulder strap from the bottom of the stitching near the buckle to the mounting point is 35 inches. At this setting I have only one inch of spare belt out of the adjuster.

If yours is a DOHC kit do you have the lowered floor like the Super Spec - this could add to your problems.

The belts have two labels

A Black one with

"TRW Sabelt

Torino

S

E2

MADE IN ITALY"

A White one with

"Belt & Buckle

MADE IN ITALY

YEAR

OF MANUFACTURE

-4 MAR 2002"

Oh and the supplied bolts are not long enough to go through the upper mountings by a long way :(

Terry

OldGitPete -

You really an old git? Well you must be a pretty game old git to admit it! :)

I would certainly consider a swap. I'm well worried about the Sabelts because I cannot fit them safely. As you say, there's plenty in the lap which is especially so if you're mounting them to the seats as I am (life's too short..). I will measure them and get back to you. Sadly I won't be at Stoneleigh due to work / family considerations. Can you post a picture of one of them so I can see what they look like? Mine are, obviously, as per Sabelt norm, which you've probably already seen (especially if you go to Stoneleigh).

Terry -

Observant of you to spot the recessed floorpan - yes, it is there. Take a look at my webpage - there is a picture of the rolling chassis that shows clearly the floorpan from the side. Not sure right now which Sabelts I have - what's the difference?

Cheers

JonB

(Wishing I were at Stoneleigh today)

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Jon,

Well that chassis is certainly different to the 2B.

I'd go back to RH and request £90 back for the belts (thats Lolocost's price for them) - which are unsuitable.

Put this towards a a pair of Willans, or something - just make sure that what you buy is E approved and therefore will pass SVA and is legal for road use.

I know Pete, but cannot pass comment - other to state that he is older than me ( but not a lot !!)

Cheers,

Terry

Guest Angel Boy

Jon/All,

If it is any help I believe the "S" signifies the belt is small (I think all RHE/RHSC belts are "S"). Being a short arse mine fits ok, but I can apreciate it could be a bit of a struggle for you tall guys. To be fair I could do with a couple of inches extra on the shoulder straps.

Andy